'95-96 Century Wagon - can this be souped up ?

BuickNut

Hi,<P>Looking into getting a early to mid 90's Century or larger wagon.....any suggestions to rodding it up as to supsension and engine/drivetrain ? Yeah, I know, a WIERD combination grin.gif" border="0 ,, but thought it might be novel to try. Thanks.

Wagons are neat and a vanishing breed, at least as we knew them.<P>Same things would apply for the wagon as for the sedans/coupes they were based on.<P>Engine wise, the normal "chip" things from HyperTech, Superchips, etc. Chassis wise, I'd upgrade the brakes with high performance friction materials, probably put some KONI struts under there (if available), and upgrade the sway bar situation.<P>The exhaust system could well benefit with a good cat-back exhaust system too. Maybe even an aftermarket higher flow converter in the mix too, but all fully compatiable with the existing emissions control system.<P>Different tire/wheel combinations will need to clear the bottom of the spring mount on the front struts, plus the tie rod ends of the steering rack.<P>There might be a cold air intake for the engine with a K&N filter on the end, but you can probably fabricate one if none are available, still keeping all of the various air temp and air flow sensors in the mix too.<P>Hopefully, it'll have the genuine Buick V-6 but the Chevy 2.8/3.1L is a decent performer too. There were some 4.1L versions of the 3.8L available in fwd Century models in the later '80s or so. That might make a good bolt in upgrade, but would have a carburetor instead of fuel injection (not a good tradeoff or modification, the carb that is, in my opinion).<P>Unless you get inside the engine, don't expect any really substantial power gains, but these mods/upgrades can make the car more responsive and fuel efficient in the process of making it more fun to drive. Any major power gains might also compromise the longevity of the automatic transaxle too.<P>My recommendation would to keep things looking pretty much stock, as the car will be more valuable that way in the future, but all of the chassis upgrades and chips would be basically invisible in that respect so it's possible to have some upgrades without hurting the stock cosmetics of the situation.<P>Enjoy!<BR>NTX5467

Thanks for the response. However, I was actually wanting to wander down the road of putting a super charger or swap a supercharged engine from a Regal GS (???)plus the tranny upgrade to go with it. Was wondering if this might not be a bolt on/swap situation that I could see about without doing the engine rebuild and the determination of the right fuel system/cam, etc that would go with such a project. Though I wonder how many strut mfgrs would make high performance/lowering kits and struts for a wagon. Typically, in the long lost past, wagons always had heavier duty springs, brakes, sway bars, trannies, and general "stuff" on them due to the anticipated larger load capacity wagons were used for. Do todays FWD wagons, or even the behemoth Roadmaster wagons, have heavier duty "stuff" on them over and above the associated sedan/coupe of the platform ? Everything I do, I want to be reversible incase I decide to move it back to stock in the future. and yeah, I know, still WIERD <BR> shocked.gif" border="0 as its been typically done on the RWD wagons (and DOES look really cool cool.gif" border="0 ), but again, THAT was wierd the first time it was done too. grin.gif" border="0 Any input would be appreciated.....also as it deals with FWD wagons from the 80's to mid-90's.<p>[ 05-31-2002: Message edited by: BuickNut ]

it is pretty much a drop in swap you have to monkey with the motor mounts but other than that it is easy. two thing though make sure to swap the computers and i dont know about the cv axels if you use the ones in the car or if you use the ones from the motor car. we dropped my series II 3800 from my 98 lumina into 93 grand am with a five speed we chipped the motor and have yet to top it out. its been over 140mph and thats scary enough

Guest Shaffer

I have a 1989 Pontiac Grand Safari wagon, which would be the same as a Buick LeSabre/Electra Estate Wagon. From about 1986-1990, they (all of the full-size Oldsmobile, Buick and Pontiac wagons) was equipped with a small Oldsmobile built 307 V-8. I am not 100%, but I think even the late 80 Chevrolet had the 307. May have been a 305. I will check. The cars are too heavy for the engine, so if a faster car is what you want and you want a wagon, I would recommend the 1977-1984 GM full-size wagons, which have larger engines. Or an even more powerful wagon would be the 1971-1976 GM full-size wagons, or even a mid-size. As far as the Buick Century and Century Estate wagons, I think they have a fair amount of power, if equipped with the V-6. Some of the older ones had the 2.5L 4-cyl. My cousin has a 1995 Buick Century sedan- I think equipped with the 3.0 V6 and it has plenty of power. I am not sure if there is any turbo equipment that can be added to these cars of not. Good luck at any rate