Old Buick Dealerships I've Known and Loved

Centurion

The recent topic here about the signage and architecture of old Buick dealerships reminded me of some of the dealerships I've enjoyed during years past. The two I have photos of are not significant from an architectural standpoint, but each dealership has a unique history. For many of us, these old Buick dealerships bring back great automotive memories of times long past.

The first photo shows both a Victorian-era home and an old Buick dealership structure. The dealership is the Baker Garage, located in my hometown of Baker City, Oregon. The home is located next door to the dealership, and this historic home was the residence of one of the dealership's long-time owners, Dorothy Southard. I took these photos in about 1980, and both structures look much the same today. The Baker Garage remains a Buick and GMC Truck dealership, and the painted signs left little doubt about the automobile sold there. At the time the photo was taken, the Oldsmobile and Cadillac franchises had recently been acquired from the defunct Quality Olds-Cadillac dealership, and the modern GM signage appears on top of the roof. And, during more recent years, the Chevrolet and Pontiac franchises have been added, reflecting the closure of two other long-time dealerships. (In fact, the Pontiac dealership had been a combination Pontiac and International-Harvester dealer before I-H discontinued pickup, Scout, and Travelall production.)

203baker_garage-med.JPG

The Baker Garage opened as a Buick dealership in 1913 in this same structure, and my grandfather first purchased a new Buick touring here in 1916. Among the area cattle ranchers and old-time doctors, Buick was the car of choice in rural Eastern Oregon, and the Baker Garage has surely been the most successful dealership in the city. Eldon Baker, another late owner of the dealership, once told me that the dealership's biggest year was 1954, when 120 new Buicks were delivered in a town of fewer than 10,000 people. Interestingly, when I go back and look at the 8-mm home movies my parents took during the mid-1950's, the streets seem filled with many Buicks of the era.

My widowed grandmother lived just down the street from the Baker Garage, and I remember traveling past the dealership hundreds of time during the late 1950's and early 1960's. I was "tuned in" to cars at a very young age, and can still remembering riding past and looking at the three open service bays, each of which held a new 1957 Buick finished in the copper brown and white two-tone paint scheme. My aunt and uncle, who owned one of the area's largest cattle ranches, had a new '57 Century, which was somewhat unusual in that the copper brown appeared below the sweep spear and the upper portion of the car was white. During that era, there was a great neon sign that stretched entirely across the street from the front of the dealership to its used car lot on the other side. I have so far been unable to locate old photos to show this incredible signage, but will continue my effort to find one.

My parents finally made the move up from Pontiac to Buick in October, 1960, trading our '56 Chieftain Catalina for the first '61 Buick (a LeSabre 4-door hardtop) delivered in our city. The car was identical to the one shown in much of the advertising:

a0_1_b.JPG

One of my great memories of that transaction is that salesman Glenn Daugherty, who is now past 80 years of age and owns the dealership with his son, pursued us in his 1960 LeSabre flattop demonstrator, hoping to clinch the sale. His perseverance paid off, and, from that time forward, my parents always bought their new Buicks and GMC pickups at the Baker Garage. (The sole exception was the '71 Centurion, purchased at a Portland-area dealership.) My eighty-eight year old father just purchased his new 2005 pickup from Glenn.

I often wish that I could roll back the clock to the mid-1960's, and take a peek inside the parts department that was managed by Mike Melowaukee. Mike drove a beautiful '56 Roadmaster 4-door Riviera, which I once had the privilege of riding in. Following Mike's death, the incredible stash of NOS, vintage Buick parts was disposed of, but it sounds like it was a treasure trove of tremendous size.

It was at the Baker Garage that I first saw and sat in the backseat of a 1963 Riviera. And the new model introduction for the 1965 Buicks was truly among the highlights of my childhood. I was with my folks every step of the way when the new Wildcat 2-door hardtop was purchased. Later that year, I recall my amazement as I watched the headlights of the new '66 Riviera move into position.

It was at the Baker Garage that I first spotted the '59 Electra that I finally acquired in 1998. See the story here: My 1959 Electra

One of my goals for the future is to contact the dealership, offering to arrange a tour of vintage Buicks from around the Pacific Northwest to celebrate the dealership's centennial in 2013.

For those who are interested, click here for a brief summary of Baker City's fascinating history: Historic Baker City

Here's another vintage dealership, Lynden Auto Sales of Lynden, Washington.

203lynden_auto_sales-med.JPG

This photo was also taken in about 1980, and the dealership structure was razed about twenty years ago. Lynden is a small, pristine Dutch community near the Canadian border, and Bud Noteboom had owned and operated Lynden Auto Sales for decades. By 1980, I would have been surprised if he were selling more than one or two new vehicles a year. Truly, this was the dealership that time had passed by.

On my first visit, I was amazed to walk into the showroom and find not a single new Buick, Pontiac, or GMC. Instead, Bud Noteboom's black 1948 Pontiac filled the showroom. I instantly recognized the large poster on the wall, issued by Buick in celebration of its 60th anniversary in 1963. The poster showed a Buick for each model year from 1903 through the 1963 Riviera, and I remembered this poster hanging in the showroom of the Baker Garage in 1963. There was also a great "Buick Wildcat Power" with a leaping Wildcat decal on the sales office window, and a larger-than-life portrait of Chief Pontiac filled another wall. (Interestingly, a 1955 Pontiac Safari at a recent area car show was displayed with photos taken inside the Port Angeles, WA Pontiac dealership in 1955; the same Chief Pontiac portrait appeared in that showroom.)

Mr. Noteboom himself was on hand to greet me, and he led me into his office and opened his desk drawer. Inside, he had copies of the new car brochures for Buicks and Pontiacs organized by year and dating as far back as the 1930's. Since he had a duplicate 1940 Pontiac brochure, he generously gave me one.

When my parents visited me during the early 1980's, I once took them to Lynden Auto Sales. My folks had purchased a new black '48 Pontiac, and they indicated that Mr. Noteboom's car was identical. A stroll through the used car lot brought back memories of past family vehicles, and the covered area included a '56 Pontiac, a '65 Wildcat, and a '71 Centurion.

One of the most amazing recollections of this dealership was that the enclosed used car department area was lined with NOS bumpers and fenders for Buicks and Pontiacs dating from the 1940's.

When Mr. Noteboom neared death in the mid-1980's, I was one of many who called in hopes that I could purchase some of the assets of the dealership. One individual in the county purchased the entire stash, and, to my knowledge, none of it has seen the light of day again.

Guest Shaffer

Interesting reading and neat photos! I do not recall, but haven't you had your 71 Buick since new? I am wondering, because that 71 Buick in that one photo looks like your car. Is it? Those signs look like they date back to the 1950s.

Guest Shaffer

That is very interesting. I will check that site out. I checked it a while back, but not much there at the time. I bet your car has some real sentimental value as well. A real keeper.

• 19 years later...

My name is Robert Scott Noteboom and Bud Noteboom was my grandfather.  My father was Robert G. Noteboom.

I have many fond memories at the dealership.  My father would take me on trips with the latest Firebird or GTO>

• Like 1

Notebooms, thank you so much for your reply to this old topic.  Are you living in Whatcom County?  (I now live in the Puyallup area.)  Do you have any old photographs of the dealership?  Anything that could be scanned?  I'd love to have some historic images of Lynden Auto Sales.  I have wondered if the Lynden Library or other collections have old photographs of the downtown businesses.  My email address is:  centurion4554@gmail.com  if you would like to communicate directly.

Edited by Centurion (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 1/17/2024 at 4:28 PM, Notebooms said:

My name is Robert Scott Noteboom and Bud Noteboom was my grandfather.  My father was Robert G. Noteboom.

I have many fond memories at the dealership.  My father would take me on trips with the latest Firebird or GTO>

If you have pictures, would you post them here.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2004 at 5:41 PM, Centurion said:

One of my goals for the future is to contact the dealership, offering to arrange a tour of vintage Buicks from around the Pacific Northwest to celebrate the dealership's centennial in 2013.

Brian,

Your Buick tour in Baker was one of my favorites when I belonged to the BCA.  It was a privilege to park my 1913 Buick inside the dealership overnight and see your grandfather smile when he saw my car.  

13 Buick New Top.jpg

• Like 3