89 Riviera Radio Problem

NJRiviera

I Have a 89 Riviera with a Delco/Bose Radio. The problem I have is that there is a some noise coming from the speakers like a constant hiss or interference when the radio is on also the reception goes in and out. I have swapped out the radio in the console and it still the same. Still cant figure out what it is. Can anyone help me out

The poor reception (and hiss from the amp due to poor signal input) sounds like an antenna lead-in problem. The cable might look good, but could have internal problems. If it's a two piece lead-in (i.e., with a joint somewhere in the assembled length), there could be a problem there or with the lead-in itself near the antenna. We had problems with water getting inside the coax on some '88 vintage Chevy pickups on the outer length of the coax. <P>If the drain on your electric antenna is plugged (I suspect it has an electric antenna), it could possibly cause a water problem that way. In any event, I suspect you will need to replace the full length of coax lead-in to fully address the problem (poor reception). Maybe even the power antenna.<P>Generally, the condensor on or in the alternator circuit is for "whine" that varies with engine rpm.<P>Enjoy!<BR>NTX5467