suping up a 283

Joe Werner

Dear Joe,NO quick easy answer......I dont figure you are going too far too fast with the original carb.WHERE do you stop....Hi lift cam......How much piston to valve you got?Hurst shifter,traction bars,big tires,then you start hookin it up and spit the stock rear out of it and then what have you got.SAVE the 57,go buy a 67 Camaro and go have some FUN.diz laugh.gif

Diz is pretty much on the mark with the limitations you have. You COULD yank the 283 and powerglide and put them in a corner of your garage and buy a 350ci crate motor and a TH 350 or 400 tranny that will all bolt right up. A friend of mine inherited a nice 57 and did exactly that.

You still have original components safely stored but can have some fun with horsepower now. 15 years from now if you want to move on the new buyer can drool about the original 283 and you'll get more mulah!

Penguin.gif

Guest imported_PackardV8

Duntov cam. Porting, Carter WCFB. If i remeber rite the 265 heads mounted on the 283 give a higher CR. The 265 heads should bolt rite on no problem. A mid to late 70's HEI distributor will probably drop rite in but i do not know for sure. The 283 produces most of its power at high rpm so u mite want to consider a 5 or 6 spd trans and get the gearing in the rear axle rite for your application.

If you're going that far without swapping engines definitely get an aftermarket aluminum intake manifold which will give you torque at the low and mid-range and you will not have to mess with rowing through gears. It will be the biggest "feel" of modification. Weight saving alone will help.

If it is important as you said to keep the 283 and carb, you could do the manifold and cam and cc the heads, port and polish. If you put later model fuelie heads with larger valves you could paint them and slip them on. It's most all internal so it will not show. Paint your aftermarket manifold to match the 283 block and it should pass as original to all be the sharpest eye.

59_chevy_passes.gif

• 1 month later...

Use an early 327 small journal shaft with a +030 307 piston and you'll feel a big difference in power due to the longer stroke. You can keep numbers matching by using original block. You'll have a 312 cu. in. engine. Make sure you balance the ass'y.