Anybody living close to Crystal City, Missouri?

Guffin

I have found an add about a very fine looking Buick 56S. If it is as good as it looks in the add I consider to buy it and have it sent to Sweden. There is no e-mail address in the add, only phone number. As my spoken English is not so good I hesitate to call.

Is there any member living close to the seller, who kindly can inspect the car for me? Or perhaps somebody knows about this car and can tell me about the condition.

Some years ago I bought a Buick -32 in the USA. Very nice looking car but most body repairs were made by bondo and blind rivets. Could not be seen on any photo.

Here is the link to the add:

http://206.126.208.74/trinity/static/showPosting/16917.html

Thank you,

Jan Gauffin

Lidingo

Sweden

these are the St. Louis members of the BCA who are close to your car. Give them a try.

Bill Landers - Director

Phone: (314) 921-5015

Email

Paul Horkits - Assistant Director

Phone: (314) 909-1573

Email

Hank Deglman - Treasurer

Phone: (636) 282-2165

Herb Morris - Secretary & Membership Chairman

Phone: (636) 296-9147

Email

John Waltz - Newsletter Editor

Phone: (314) 961-2510

Email

Hey Smartin,

check this out the Vintage Airstreams coming to your area:

We have just completed scouting a Wagon Wheel Vintage caravan into Springfield, Missouri for next June. Here is a sampling of the 15 night, 16 day caravan that will end at the pre-rally site the day before our Vintage parade into the Springfield International Rally.

We will meet with our Vintage rigs in St. Louis on Saturday, June 11th. Some of the St. Louis highlights will be a tour of the city and a tour of the St. Louis Transportation Museum with our own Molly Butterworth, Curator of Collections. We will visit a charming historic German town surrounded by wineries. As we travel Old Route 66 into Southern Missouri, we will have many Route 66 memorabilia adventures. We will visit several quaint historic towns. There will be a tube float trip in the Ozark National Scenic Waterways. Our Branson stop will be for 3 nights, and we will attend 3 shows. Our final stop will be near the Kansas border, and we will again travel Old Route 66 into Springfield. The caravan will end on Sunday, June 26th at the pre-rally site.

Raymond Roberts is the seller of the car. I called him today. According to him the car is a completely restored California car. Bored engine, use unleaded gas. Everything works except gas gauge. He wants $18,900. does it seem resonable? I am very temted to buy it. My wife is in Japan for some months.

How is such a car to drive? Is it much better than the 1932 Buick. Is steering heavy or can a lady drive it?

Jan

I have not driven a 1940 recently, and have a smaller '32 then yours, but I would think that the '40, stil without poweer steering would be quite a bit easier then the larger 80 series '32. It does take a strong arm to turn the '32 in tight spaces, but once on the road it handles and steers well.

That will be quite a surprise when your wife returns, especially if it is for her to drive. As to value, on observing the photos, it sure seems worth it with a little bargining to help pay the shipping to Europe. I guess some of us hate to see another car go overseas, but we know you will appreciate the car, and that is what counts. I hope others can give you more info on the driving/steering features. Would you buy it without seeing it in person?

John

I understand that it is not so fun to se nice cars go abroad but some time ago many cars went from Europe to USA instead. Especially fine European cars. You have so many old cars over there and we rather few. One good thing is that old cars are taken well care of here and, perhaps, some of them will go back to you in the future. You rarely se bad restoration jobs here with bondo and riveting instead of welding etc as you can find on imports from USA.

In all the clubs in Sweden there are only three 1940 Buicks and five 1941. Of 1932 buicks there are only two.

Jan

Jan