question transmition oil for 64 transmition????

Todd H

hi, i am looking to find out what type of transmition oil is the best for my 64 wildcat with a super turbine 400 trans..... it calls for type " A " yet the closet to that is AF from napa auto... thanks Todd

GM claims that their current DexronIII fluid is backward compatible all the way back to 1949 in their transmissions. The orig Dexron fluid replaced Type A when it came out in the later 1960s. The current DexronIII is the latest variation of that orig Dexron fluid.<P>I highly suspect that DexronIII is highly superior in its additive packages and such than the earlier Type A fluid. My recommendation would be the DexronIII fluid, but others might prefer the earlier Type A spec fluid if it's still around.<P>Enjoy!<BR>NTX5467

I think that Dexron III is the greatest thing since the paper towel. It's my personal opinion but I use it in both of my old cars and have nothing but good things to say about it. Good luck. smile.gif" border="0<p>[ 05-12-2002: Message edited by: 61lesabre ]

That type AF that you found is, I believe, Ford Type F. In my parts counterman days, we sold Dextron III to those requiring Type A.

If you check in Hemmings - you may see some vendors offering Type A. Last year I had some radiator work done and had to top off the tranny to compensate for the loss from the radiator's trans fluid cooler. I used Dexron III and had no problems - even when mixing it in with really old fluid.