CD Changer problems...lousy station reception

ksmmspt

Hi,

I just had a cd changer installed in the trunk. I'm having all sorts of problems with my radio station reception (lots of static and difficulty picking up stations). Anybody have any ideas on why my radio stations are so terrible? The unit appears to be properly grounded. What should I check?

Yes,

The static and poor reception occurs when the changer is off. I would expect to have the same reception as before when the changer is off. Where would the gm adaptor be installed (next to the antenna connection at the radio pod or next to the antenna)? The guy who installed it said the antenna connection was different than any gm vehicle he had seen...so I'm wondering if he got the proper adaptor.

Never had it happen with a radio but is common with feed-through VHS recorders/players when they get old. I *suspect* there is a relay inside and the contacts get worn.

Sounds like your new changer has a case of "infant mortality". I would exchange it for another.

I was thinking the same thing...that it could be the changer. Is there a possibility that the adaptor is the culprit? The changer sounds great when playing cds. Also, I noticed when you place your hand near the antenna connection and the adaptor that reception improves. Then you move your hand away from the area and the reception worsens. Weird?

I have had the same problem with my 89 and 90 both with CD changers. FM reception is fair, but AM is almost non existent. I tried redoing the connection and even running a new cable from the radio to the antenna. Go figure. At best the reception on my other two Reattas without CD changers is only fair. I just had the radio repaired on one of my 90 convertibles and the AM reception is still really rotten.

Wish I had and answer. I guess just a lot of good CD's is the best I can offer.

Scott,

The guy who installed your changer was right. I must have gone to a dozen suppliers, and there just isn't an adapter that will fit at the antenna end of the cable. It's a totally different animal.

Did that. Wouldn't work. Not conventional. It's strange. Wouldn't fit adapter or changer. I really believe it must be unique to Reatta/Riviera.

I just spoke to the guy who did the work for me. He initially tried an adaptor at the female connector 18" from the antenna with terrible reception. He then used the correct gm adaptor at the radio module and he said it worked great. Then, when I picked it up, the reception was lousy. So he's ordering a replacement changer on Friday and we'll see if that does the trick.

Haven't received the replacement yet. Hopefully, by the end of the week. I'll post the results once it's installed. Interestingly, the current one just stopped working all together (no power). I did get one huge positive out of the installation though. I have been getting random, intermittant code E026 since I bought the car. Well, it was the postive battery post which had been cross-threaded or stripped. My installer rethreaded the post and I haven't had a code E026 since!! Wahooooo!!! No more of that annoying electrical problem warning....knock on wood.

Problem Solved!! My antenna died on me. My buddy got a replacement from O'reillys and also replaced the antenna cable to the module just for good measure (all under $50). The antenna looks very good and there is only a minor difference from the stock one. He installed the cd changer and there is perfect reception. Apparently, the power antennas can go bad after 10-15 years....imagine that! cool.gif