sick of my dynaslow - swap?

Guest miked

I have a '60 lesabre that I have done alot of work to. It is a mild custom, lowered, emblems shaved, polished americans, flamethrowers, etc... I frequently drive it between Tucson and Phoenix for shows and cruise nights. But I'm getting tired of the tranny. I had it rebuilt when I put the engine in it about 4 years ago, I keep up with regular fluid changes, I'm tired of being passed on the freeway, and I'm tired of the red stains on my garage floor.

Has anyone swapped out the dyna for a TH400? I know that it requires changing the rearend and suspension. But I was hoping someone knows what rear end is a good match in size. Also if there is another buick model that would make a good donor of it's rear suspension, rear end, and possibly the TH400 too? One that would bolt up to my 364? A little fab work doesn't scare me. But if it's totally rediculous, like a frame swap then forget it.

Lastly, would anyone be interested in a trade for their early 50's Buick? I would be interested in an even trade, or a little up or down, like 1K difference. My car is a SOLID $8500 car. I can email pictures.

Thanks! h0tr0dnailhead@aol.com

It would be far more cost effective to install a 401/425,

with the correct crank for the Dynaflow. The 364 you

have now is probably the low compression 2 barrel carb

motor. Changing the entire driveline from behind the

motor back to the rear end is very cost prohibitive.

My 59 Buick Invicta with a 401 was very fast. The dynaflow

in low has more starting torque than the 400 trans.

Marty

Marty World Automotive

Guest Shaffer

I can relate. It sounds like your car is similar to my grandfathers old 1955 Buick Special. Once you got going, say above 35 mph- it was a powerhouse, but take-offs were very sluggish. Perhaps something was not operating properly? I was told however, that is just how those were. There were many times I would have to "manually" shift the car, for a safe take-off- such as pulling out at an intersection, into the flow of traffic.

Guest Straight eight

It sounds as if the sprague clutch was shot. They wore out at a low mileage. and would act like that. When operating properly those 55's were quite competitive. cool.gif

Is there a TH400 that will bolt up to my 364? if so, anyone want to sell theirs? I'm also looking to buy the rearend, and suspension (prefer leaf springs) to fit my '60. I was thinking a 61 T-bird would be a good source for the rearend. What do you think? I don't really want to buy new wheels.

Miked,

Make sure that it IS your transmission and not something engine related. I had always heard terrible things about dynaflows (dyna-trash, dyna-slo, dyna-flush etc.) but both of my cars have them and they work great when the engine is hitting on all cylinders. For peeling out you will have to put it in low but for everyday driving they work well.

Mike

I read your post again regarding your trans problem

and that you are tired of being passed on the freeway.

A turbo 400 will not improve your acceleration by

that much if at all. Jim Bell of Kenne-Bell Buick

replaced the 2 speed 300 trans in a 65 Skylark Gran

Sport with a 400 trans and reduced the 1/4 mile time

by one tenth of a second. Are you willing to spend

several thousand dollars for one tenth?

Your picture shows a three duece intake. Your car

weighs about 4600 pounds. A "warmed" over 364 is

just not enough. You need more cubes to get the

torque and hp to move that heavy car. I mentioned

the intake because most fast nailheads require a lot

of cfm--dual carbs or a big Q-jet, Thermoquad, etc.

My 59 Buick had a 1000 cfm thermoquad with blocked

heat risers and was very fast.

The 400 trans is very good, probably one of the best,

but as far as converting the dynaflow with the closed

driveline to the open driveline and 400 may not provide

you with the performance you are looking for.

At my repair shop I work on a lot of different Buicks.

A good comparison are the early Rivieras. The 63 Rivs

with dynaflows feel just as strong as the 64 and 65 Rivs

with the 400.

Marty

sorry it took so long to reply to these posts! I was in rural Mich for the holiday, and internet was long distance! I was so disconnected! It's weird how things like this internet thing change your life.

Ok, so it doesn't sound like anything is wrong with the trans, and the car isn't realy SLOW or anything. Maybe I'm just expecting too much from my nailhead. MAYBE I should just "toss in" a 455? Maybe I should start over with a smaller car? Hmmmmm more thought required.

Thank you all VERY much for the input.