54 Special ? dash

Guest imported_MrEarl

Guest imported_MrEarl

I keep going back and looking at this dash from supposedly a 1954 Special. I find it interesting that it has all the options it had. 54_Special_dash

1. Wonderbar radio
  2. Power antenna
  3. Rear seat speaker, and notice how the dash itself is extruded for the bezel to fit flush
  4. Round Red Line speedometer. I thought these were Century exclusive
  5. Turned metal dash plate

Just curious as to whether the original buyer of the car would have had to ordered all this extra or if some Specials just came dressed up like this. Perhaps from a first run prototype or something.

[color:\\"red\\"](hey, Thriller...how ya like that URL list ?) smile.gif

Guest imported_MrEarl

uhmmm, replying to my own post...is that like talking to ones self?...

Here is my question? Back in the 50's, did buyers order their cars, specing out what accessories and options they wanted and then they were custom built at the factory and delivered to the dealershp or what?

I am looking at a 54 Roadmaster as a parts car. It has a radio delete plate and NO options like power window, seat, antenna, Wonderbar radio, A/C or anything.Why didn't the original owner just buy a Super?!!

You can talk to yourself, and you can even answer yourself--just don't say "What?" after you answer!

Yeah, the option sheet was exactly that--an option sheet! Some things were standard, of course (Dynaflow in a Roadmaster, if I'm not mistaken).

The guy might have wanted a RoadMaster for the prestige, but was on a Super budget? Maybe the dealer "bank" just ordered it that way, and the car was built and sent to whatever dealer was due to get cars that week.

I looked at that dash--very interesting that the engine-turned trim is on a Special like that--I want to do something like that on my '54 Special, and figured I'd have to have a panel made. I still will, but it's interesting that some came from the factory like that.

I talked to someone with a '54 Special in Canada: the car was originally built for Canada, and came with a 322/4bbl. Canada cars were OFTEN different than their US counterparts, in all makes. A '56 Ford F-100 pick-up truck in Canada was a Mercury. A early '60s Pontiac station wagon came with a 409 in it, etc. The guy said that Buick Specials came with a 322 and 4bbl carb--264/2bbl only in US. That dash is in Texas--long way to go for a dash, but it could have been from a Canadian car originally.

If you get that parts car, I'd love to get that radio delete plate from you!

-Brad

The only Buick year and model I have ever seen with a engine turned dash like

that was a '55 Century wagon. This particular car was in a salvage yard in the early 1980's and had been there since the late 60's. I also found in another yard a '54 Special, and it did not have the dash inserts either. That car was in that yard from the mid 60's,I verified that later while looking through a stack of titles for a different car in that yard. Also, I have seen and parted out at least a dozen other 55 Specials, and none of them had that dash insert in it.

Guest imported_bjr

I have never seen the engine turned dash on any small bodied Buicks but the 55 Centurys. I have never seen it on a 54 Special or Century. I got the pieces off a 55 Century 4 dr ht to put on my 54 Special convert. Brian

Guest imported_Thriller

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[color:\\"red\\"](hey, Thriller...how ya like that URL list ?) smile.gif </div></div>

grin.gif Tres bon!

Guest imported_MrEarl

So the 55 Century dash trim will fit a 54 Special eh?? Hear that Brad? Remember that 55 and 56 that I went and looked at in Carnesville (and got into the bumble bees) that 55 had the turned dash. May worth going back after eh? bjr, got any pictures of that 54 Special 'vert, would love to see !

Guest imported_MrEarl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> grin.gif Tres bon! </div></div>

say what? my Canadian,French, Spanish ain't that good... tongue.gif

Guest imported_MrEarl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Also, I have seen and parted out at least a dozen other 55 Specials, and none of them had that dash insert in it. </div></div>

What about door lock's that look like chrome switches and are mounted in the vertical door panels instead of the horizontal piece below the glass in 55's. I have a parts car that have these. Or maybe this is common in all 55's, I've never noticed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What about door lock's that look like chrome switches and are mounted in the vertical door panels instead of the horizontal piece below the glass in 55's. I have a parts car that have these. Or maybe this is common in all 55's, I've never noticed. </div></div>

My model 63's have that handle and they are listed for model 43 also (no other model)...I did see a 1956-43 that had the trditional buttons. I gives the sill a clean look and maybe more security, but are a pain to keep in good working condition.

The turned dash inserts were used only on 55 Roadmasters and Centurys (different parts)...they can be restored even if real bad condition.

Willie

Guest imported_Thriller

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> grin.gif Tres bon! </div></div>

say what? my Canadian,French, Spanish ain't that good... tongue.gif </div></div>

Tres Bon = Very Good

cool.gif