'40 sedan heater for sale, need 15" rims for '40 coupe

knuckle frank

Guest bkazmer

Important point on going beyond bolt pattern. Offset and center hole diameter are important to it working correctly and safely. Also, check width. Because the 40-42 sidemount wells are tight, I can tell you a bathtub wheel is different from 40-42 (go/no go gauge!). I'm not sure about 1940, but Packard offered 15" and 16" in the immediate prewar years depending on model.

Is the heater the under dash(with defrost) or under seat one?

heater is the under dash style with defrost, i picked it up with understanding it would fit my '40 business coupe, but the bolt pattern was diff, i then came across one that was the same bolt pattern, the one for sale is the three door type, with 3 wire motor.

as for the wheels, since the coupe has no side mounts that would have no bearing, I want the 15" wheels to drop the stance a bit, if the later years fit the same bolt patern, what i like to do is install wheels that can take tubless tires if they are out there

Guest bkazmer

Both the 15" and 16" can take tubeless tires, so that's not a factor (I have tubeless radials on my 16" rims). The sidemount comment was only to make the point that the wheels from a postwar car are wider. The wheel width and offset determine if the suspension geometry has been changed. The wheel center needs to be the correct diameter or else the weight is borne on the lugs (Bad!!!), but a larger hole can have a concentric shim fitted. I have seen prewar cars fitted with post-war wires, but I can't how well it worked or if the hubs were changed. My overall comment is to make sure that whatever you do goes beyond just fitting on the car and gives you the performance and safety you wish.

I have a '40 coupe, can later hubs be applied to use later wheels, has any body ever modified the front to except discs or aftermarket hubs to use dif manuf. wheels. just kicking around ideas to put on a set of 15" wheels, i have the 16's but want to drop the stance any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

JT,

nothing drastic, i'm just looking for a lower stance, kinda like a rod but not butchering up the frame and motor, like a retro rod tire, skinny but lower profile, i figure with 15" wheels and a lower profile tire i can drop the coupe 3-4" without cutting a thing, i've come across a 4 set of carabean 5x5 wheels with factory large dia hub caps for less than a buck and a half, i'll try them and if its a no-go than i can always unload them here without loosing a wad

• 2 weeks later...

JT,

well I ound out today that not all packards are 5x5 bolt pattern, my '40 110 packard is 4-1/2" bolt pattern, the wheels I just got, they are 5x5 but will not fit the '40 110, my pattern on my 110 is smallewr than the wheels i got, and yes I measured the wheels I jusr received, to bad I didn't know how to measure them before, now does anybody need these wheels or can trade for the Jr. bolt pattern, see attached file for pic of the wheels

Mine is a sedan. Measuring between say the first and third hole, I have 4 3/4" on center or 5" from center of the first to bottom of the 3rd, so it should be a 5x5 pattern.

according to vintiques wheels, bolt pattern is measured from the outside of 1 to the center of 3 for 5 bolt pattern which mine is 4-1/2", so if you went center to center and given the dia, you would be 5", do you have the 35-41 parts list, it list for the 1800 #351723 and for all others 1801,1a,2... pn#338700, so the coupe had a dif. part no. for the wheel, and the brake drums for the 1800 and 1900 were dif # then the 1801,1a,2..., is yours a 6 or 8 cyl., is that the only dif btwn the 1800 and the 1801?

• 2 weeks later...