ID help from lousy photo - 53, 54 Buick?

Pontiac59

I'll be honest here. This is a shot I took two weeks ago of another car in a place I've been to a couple times. With some 5,000 cars it's just plain overwhelming. So it was after I got home that I noticed this car in the background of the shot (arrow, behind the '52 Chevy). I can see that its apparently a convertible, there is no top behind the chrome windshield frame. To me I am suspecting Buick, but I am not certain. Anyone have some photos to compare to? I can't make up my mind on a year. The high-looking hood (hard to see through the leaves on the car) would seem to indicate '53 or even 51-52, the hooded light reminds me of 53-54, and the windshield looks like a wraparound 54-55. That line on the lower fender does not look like pre-54 Buick to me, unless it's a Skylark feature. Also, on the nose of the hood, could either be streaks from rain - or is it a Pontiac silver streak? But Pontiac didn't have the hooded lights, and the bumper and chrome look more like Buick to me - more 51-53 style.

It could easily be a custom - there is a '55 Chevy here redone with quad lights and mesh grille and a 49/50 Merc sedan with the grille, park and tail lights changed plus the remains of a lavender paint job on it. Who knows, maybe this will turn out to be a sedan with the roof cut off. A couple cars over was a '50-ish Plymouth wagon that had most of the top and rear body cut off, except for the fenders, to make a sort of truck out of it.

I'll be back in a couple days and get better photos and check it out. I just wanted to put this out on the off chance someone has one and recognizes that little glimpse of the car. Bad when you're looking for the stuff and still miss one.

251025-54buickmaybe.jpg

Looked at some pictures today - 53-55 Buicks and Oldsmobiles. My bet is a big-body '54 Buick, either Super or Roadmaster - they had the high hood, and the wraparound glass. The Olds either has a flatter hood, or the '53 the chrome over the bumper is a lot heavier. We'll see - but if it's a '54 Roadmaster, you'll see it on eBay in a few days.

• 2 weeks later...