How to get more power out of the v12 without making

djn

erreversalbe changes to the engine. I am building a ratrod and a friend is donating a v12 to the cause but I don't want to do any permenet damage or changes to the engine but want to increase the reliability and increase the power. Do you have any suggestions or can you lead me to someone that does. Thank you. Dennis.

Hey Dennis, can't let a question like this go by without putting in my 2 cents worth, several things contribute to a Lincoln V-12 being a poor choice, as Diz says, speed equipment is difficult to find and extremely expensive, top usable Cubic Inch displacement is about 305 CI, with 2 15/16 bore, most of them have hydraulic lifters, and the most frequent objections are that they are too long, and too heavy for most hot rod applications, they do have great torque, and rough driving is deadly for the transmissions. That is usually not enough for great performance these days, I would consider if I were you, selling your V-12 to a restorer of these Lincolns, there is always a market for them, and taking the proceeds and go to the wrecking yard and find a SBF or even a SBC, more CI right from the start, lots of cheap speed equipment, and easy to adapt to any chassis, with all kinds of manual and automatic transmissions, and open drive rear end, that give you a huge variety of ratios to choose from. Raced a V-12 myself, and knew a few others that did also, the best performer I knew of in those days was a 332 CI 12, wet sleeved to 3 1/16 Ford bore, 3 carburetors, a lot of valve work etc etc, and in a 3600 lb '41 Lincoln coupe, turned 106 MPH at Pomona drag strip in 1954, I was there and saw it, but this was an all out attempt, and was not for use on the street, Gil, the owner, had "Drain Oil Special" scrawled on the trunk of the '41, so that's my story, and I'm sticking to it, Rolf

Dear O.C.,I was just wondering if you were acquainted with Mr. Les Keeton,Northern California stock car racer.Anything i have ever read said if you wanted to haul ass with a V-12 he was the MAN to talk too.I believe he is still alive and resides Northeast of San Francisco.diz laugh.gif

Guest imported_V12Bill

Diz, I may be wrong but I believe Les Keaton passed on several years ago. I remember seeing him at a GOF in Pennsylvania about 20 years ago and I believe he was in his mid 70's then. Yes he drove his 37 3 window there from Cal. As I recall he had lost an arm in a misshap and had modified his car to more easily drive .

Bill

Dear V12Bill,Three years ago i was in negotiations with a guy in Northern California for Mr. Keetons 37 coupe.He had just bought it from Les and wanted to make a few bucks on the car.As i recall it was rough inside and out and was ALL the money.He sent me some photos and Les was in the pics in a wheelchair and also sitting in the coupe.Maybe someone else can give us an update.diz laugh.gif