Convertible on eBay

ALF1

The '90 convertible -- from which I walked -- is now on eBay, with a $3995 Buy-It-Now. No mention is made of the fact that the engine needs work, and one of the many issues I had with the car is that it couldn't be smogged. I had a deal to buy the car for $2000, as-is, and have it towed to my home, but Jesus, the owner, couldn't/wouldn't produce the title. I made the 200-mile roundtrip twice and had a cashier's check ready, but Jesus seems to have a little problem with ethics (or greed). If you want to bid, I'd be happy to give you a run-down, as I spent several hours with the car. But rest assured that it's not a "7" as he claims -- and it certainly isn't in "excellent condition" as the auction notes proclaim. A few instances: driver's seat is completely shot and the seatback leans all the way back. Gages are stuck, so don't rely on the dashboard photo. Top is shot. Left rear quarter panel is dented in two places. I couldn't get the windows, seats, A/C or other electronics to work. ABS light is on; couldn't get a thump on the brakes. Engine would start, and explanation for rough running was "bad valve." Cursory listen-to seemed to indicate it might be more. On the plus side, it's the original paint and the engine compartment is clean. Here's what it needs: complete upholstery, new top, major electronics work, bodywork and new paint, ABS brake work...plus the usual unknowns that always pop up once you get into the job. As I said in my earlier post, it seems to be a solid car -- and, at $2000, appeared to be a bargain. At $4000, I don't think so....

<span style="font-weight: bold">-- ALF</span>

I sent him an ebay question.

Dear shelbyreatta,

"Do you have the California title "in hand" The last

Car I bought in California took 10 weeks to get a

duplicate title"

Yes we have cal title in hand.Thanks.

To bid or purchase this item, go to:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2495009207

================================================================================

Item # / Item Title End Date

================================================================================

2495009207 Oct-22-04

Buick : Reatta

Thank you,

emporioauto

Make your own mind up.

Thought I'd take a look at the auction and see how many bids. None so far -- but an interesting Question and Answer were added to the listing:

Q: How can you say the car is in "excellent" condition when the pictures shows the seat all ripped up, dents in the body, headlights not working, taillight...more

A: When I say it is and excellent condition it mean for the price, if you want and exellent condition buy the one one ebay for $15.999.00 Item number: 2494772524

Apparently "excellent condition" doesn't mean "excellent condition".... confused.gif

And also hides the flaws....

I had never seen a "frozen" dash before. When I started the engine, all the gages looked normal. Then it dawned on me that the temp gage should show cold instead of normal. Stomped on the accelerator and the oil gage never moved; nothing else strayed off course. Drill: 1. Get out of car; 2. leave premises; 3. consider yourself lucky. This is a car with problems.

Well, the car sold; one bid only: $2995. Contacted the buyer, Hooper of North Carolina, who says he owns eight Reattas. Said he was going to drive the car back cross-country. I advised strongly against it: ABS light on (god only know if the accumulator's ever been changed); seatback broken; headlights inoperative; all dash gages frozen; extent/quality of recent engine work unknown. However...the radio works and it has new tires....

Safe passage, Hooper!

Jerry,

Mr. Hooper is one of our customers, and does indeed have eight Reattas. I know he had mentioned he wanted to have ten. with this purchase in San Diego, it looks like we will be having a good holiday season, and the first quarter of 2005 looks good, too. wink.gif

Mike

one thing on the positive side of those "frozen" gauges; since the gas gauge never moves, does this mean that adding fuel will be unnecessary?