1939 Luxury Liner Flathead

mopar_54

I bought a 39 Dodge Brothers Luxury Liner that has not been started in years. I have been able to roll the engine over by turning the cooling fan, but it will only go a short distance til it stops. If I reverse direction of the fan I can once again roll it over about one revolution of the fan til it stops again. I have not wanted to try turning it with the starter until I am reasonably sure nothing is wrong internally. When I first bought the car I took out the spark plugs and put a cap ful of Marvel Mystery oil in each plug hole. It sat like that for a month or so. Also every spark plug wire had been chewed off by a mouse along with misc. other wires. I have replaced all other wires that I can see so was wondering how to get the plug wires hooked up to the correct plugs. Thanks for the help!!

I took the plugs out and I can roll it over easier but the same thing happens. There is something preventing the engine from rolling completely through one revolution. I will pull the valve cover off and look - your suggestion makes sense to me that a valve may be stuck.

WITH YOUR COMMENT OF A MOUSE EATING THE WIRES. I HAVE HAD THE VERY SAME PROBLEM. THE REASON FOR THE STOPPAGE WAS THE MOUSE WENT DOWN THE CARBURETOR OR UP THE EXHAUST AND INTO THE CYLINDER THROUGH THE OPEN VALVES. WHAT I FOUND IN MY ENGINE WERE CHERRY PITS.

GOOD LUCK AND I HOPE IT IS JUST A SIMPLE STICKY VALVE.

REUEL

• 2 weeks later...

hello

have a 1940 4dr luxury liner having trouble printing the wiring diagram, just got the car 3 weeks ago. so as you can imagine have a lot of work ahead of me. the car does run and have alreadt rebuilt the front end along with brakes. do you have an idea where you can get a complete harness or am i stuck with hand wiring? also is there a simpler way to adjust front brakes? will email photos if interested.

if possible please fax copy of diagram 541-772-0311

regards

chuck and debbie schaefer

medford oregon usa