Important book which should be in the AACA Library

michel88

Last year I had the pleasure of meeting Harold Gilbert at the Hershey show. He was there just as he had been for the past 49 years! The book he has written is called "Looking Back" and he was selling them at the show. I decided to buy it and found it to be excellent reading. It consists of many short stories about finding old cars back in the early days. This man has probably saved more antique, classic and special interest cars than anyone in the AACA. He and one of his friends brought some early brass car parts to sell at the 1954 Hershey show and sold them outside the stadium where the show was. When you walk through the giant Hershey flea market you should realize that Mr. Gilbert and his friend may have started it by bringing those parts in 1954. I saw Mr. Gilbert this year at Hershey and this was his 50th year at the show! I think this book should be a part of the AACA library and I would be glad to donate my copy.

Woody Michel

I received an e-mail from Kim Miller with the AACA Library and she informed me that the Library has a copy of the book. I was glad to hear that they do. Next year at Hershey I urge you to stop by and meet Mr. Gilbert and get a copy of the book. It's a wonderful opportunity to talk to a man who was there in the early days of Hershey. He is in the Chocolate field at CZ30-36. He assured me he will be there for the 51st year!

Woody Michel

Jay, I think he published the book himself. There is no publisher information in the book. I checked Amazon.com but could not find it. His name is Harold M. Gilbert from Dansville, New York and I am sure he would be glad to sell you a copy if you contact him. Can someone in the AACA who knows him post his full address and phone number?

Woody Michel

• 3 weeks later...

...Better yet, a trip to Dansville to see his personal collection is a real treat as well. My mom was raised in Dansville so at times it wasn't too uncommon to make a quick trip to Harold's house while in town visiting family. If I'm not mistaken, Harold is a member of Livingston Region.