"Body-Off" SUV Servicing

BigFella

There has been some talk in another thread about removing the body on the newer SUV's to service the engine area. This rang a bell for me and I dug back through my old mail and found that a FORD mechanic I knew in NY state had actually done this and sent out a picture. He also sent a small blurb and a web site explaining the procedure. You can see the engine head over on the bench in the back left.

ford.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Hey John that is the normal method of head gasket replacement. Or at least it is one of the quickest methods. The engine is set back under the windshield and the AC evaporator is in the way of accurate cylinder head torque procedures. Due to the fear of squeek and rattle complaints Ford recommends removing the engine, which requires the removal of the front core support, radiator etc. etc, for a head gasket repair. I have done a number of these repairs and the body removal is the easiest route. </div></div>

Here is a web site that goes over the procedure:

Flat Rate Tech

Click on SUV Body removal procedure.

I have a feeling that since this was a few years ago, the GM techs caught wind of this and started doing the same thing as it is easier than dismatling the whole front end to make a repair. Note that from what we talked about it was still possible to make repairs without doing this but was *alot* more work.

Enjoy! <--- who does that? hehehehe sorry NT it was the first thing that came to my mind and I know it's your signature. Just made me chuckle!

On the "body off" situation, not necessary on the TrailBlazer platform, as our tech has proved. BUT, why hasn't anybody gotten really excited about the necessity of dropping the front subframe out from under so many fwd cars to do engine work (fwd NorthStar V-8s in particular)? By "engine work", I mean taking the heads off somewhere after the 150,000 mile mark, for example, not normal maintenance items.

Seems like all of the fwd transaxles have to come out from the bottom too, which necessitates a holding fixture to keep the engine in the original position as the subframe is removed. Some of the earlier GM X-car fwds even had bolt-together subframes to possibly help with that situation.

Also seems like that as the Ford factory warranty flat rate times have allegedly been cut "past the bone", those guys would not do anything they didn't have to--period. In any event, each tech has their own preference in how to do their work, yet they only get paid for what "the book" says the job is worth. Past that, it's their determination on how to best do the work in the place they have to do it and the tools to do it with.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467