TH 350 acting up

Sgt Art

I've had this happen a couple times. Car it still cold, step on gas from full stop, engines revs but trans does not engage (?) immediately. It takes about 1 or 2 seconds and then takes off. This only happened when the engine trans were cold and on a bit of any incline. Checked fluid and it's nice an red and full. Transmission upshifts very smooth, almost too smooth, if that's possible. Service dept suggests I have trans serviced, change fluid filter etc. Is the problem deeper than that?

Hello Sgt Art:

A few questions: Does this happen if you shift into reverse? Or just in drive?

Is there any difference if you shift into 'S' (2nd gear) or 'L' and then step on the throttle. This may further diagnose the problem.

I suspect that the problem does NOT occur in reverse but does occur in ALL forward drive ranges.

Different clutches & bands are applied in reverse. If the 'forward clutch' (applied in all forward ranges) has internal leakage (clutch pack piston seals leaking) then it might take a few seconds to build up pressure & apply the clutch.

As was suggested, I would change the fluid & filter first. Unfortunatly, I believe that the THM350 has no drain plug in the torque converter. Dropping the pan only drains about half (of less) of the total fluid in the trans. I believe some shops will disconnect one of the oil cooler lines and pump out additional fluid.

If the problem persists after a fluid change, a trans additive may help to condition the seals for a period of time. I had older Plymouth with the same problem and the additive helped for awhile.

Keep us posted.

Good Luck,

Paul

Thanks for the advice. I had the shop change the fluid and filter and I've only noticed it happen once; again, this happened shortly after start up. It's never happened when the car has been running for more than 15 minutes or so. Other than that, it shifts very smoothly and seems to be running fine.

Sooo, I'm going to leave it alone unless if becomes too much of a problem and hope for the best.