Turn signal problem - '85 LeSabre

Guest imported_TheColossusofRoads

I have a problem with the turn signals on my '85 LeSabre. The right side works perfectly, front and back. However, the left side flashes very slowly, and won't flash at all with the parking or headlamps on. The dashboard indicator(left)lights up steady green when the parking or headlamps are on, but the front and rear turn lights aren't on. Otherwise, the dashboard indicators work OK. The bulbs all check out and the round turn flasher in the fuse block has been replaced. Is there another part of the flasher circuit that I missed? It's a minor thing, but a major annoyance. Any thoughts as to what it might be?

I would think you have a bad ground somewhere on the left side of the car. Or the headlight switch is going bad. There's alot of stuff that goes through the headlight switch, you might want to find a shop manual with the wiring diagram, if possible. Sounds like a major pain, like you said!

Are the left side tail lights as bright as the right side tail lights when you have the lights on?

If they are dimmer sometimes the bulb sockets get corroded and need replaced. I think they're 4-5 bucks at the parts store.

If they are as bright then I doubt if a corroded socket is your problem.

The brightness of the left turn signal, front and rear, is normal, but it's like a "lazy" (slow) flash in the daytime, and no flash at all with the parking or headlamps lit.

Crazy, huh?

99% probability that the ground wires need to be removed and cleaned. Then check it again.

Also, the socket may be okay, but I'd look up front at the signal light wires going into the socket. These do come out if you bend the locking tab inside the connector, and then they can be cleaned as well. Just bend the locking tabs back out when ready to re-install and save yourself a lot of hassle. by doing just one wire at a time.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem has been corrected - my thanks to all who offered possible remedies.

There is a 3 blade snap-together type electrical connector about 18" up from the base of turn signal bulb socket. From there it leads in to a larger wiring harness. This connector sits almost directly beneath the battery tray, barely visible, and was found to be heavily corroded when I opened it up. Since the car has 264,000 miles on it I simply made a cut on either side of the connector and added butt connectors to bypass the defective unit.

Thanks again to all - this was getting to be a major pain after checking all the "obvious" places for defects. laugh.gif