'64 Le Sabre engine oil........

Guest trevor ward

Guest trevor ward

Hi guys..,

I need to give the engine oil a change, and i am wondering what oil

you would recommend, given that it never sees cold weather driving

and does relatively low miles each year ( couple of thousand tops).

I am refering to specs as well as brands... A knowledgable guy here

has suggested 20-50 confused.gif

I have no idea what is in there at present, and as well as a new

filter, are there any other things i should be looking to do at this

time?? The filter i have ordered is an AC PF24....hopefully you

will agree with this choice?! confused.gif

Any and all posts, greatly appreciated smile.gif

Thanks in advance... Trevor....

Guest 52buick72r

Hi Trevor,

Your choice of filter is correct for your car, so there should be no problem there. Not sure if some other members switch to a different make, but I have a feeling most members stay with what was recommended by GM.

As far as oil goes, I suspect it's all a matter of opinion between members/climate zones. I happened to get a deal on a case of Quaker State last time I changed, I think the weight was 10W-30. I myself am not sure if that is entirely the best way to go, but I'd be most interested in hearing from other members as far as oil weight goes, as I have to change mine again soon. My late grandfather used to say "so long as it has oil in it, it'll run." Maybe there is something to be said in old wisdom, but the theory seems to be working for me ... I just keep on checking the fluid every time I am about to take the Buick out.

Good Luck,

Matt

PF 24 is the correct filter for the car, and that is all I run. Regarding oil, everyone has their opionion. I run 10W-30 in all my cars.

This link explains Multi-weight oils: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question164.htm

Multi-weight oils (such as 10W-30) are a new invention made possible by adding polymers to oil. The polymers allow the oil to have different weights at different temperatures. The first number indicates the viscosity of the oil at a cold temperature, while the second number indicates the viscosity at operating temperature.

Guest invicta592

Ayup Trevor,

Fancy seeing you on here! smile.gif

Just for your info, an AC PF24 is the same as I have. It rather nicely says on the side of the box I have in front of me, which contains the aforementioned, that a PF24 fits all Buick,Cad,Olds,Pont V8's from 1960 - 1980. Useful to know if you decide to expand your GM vehicle collection wink.gif

The useful bit though, is where it tells you what the filter replaces (it's equivalents). Here goes

A PF24 replaces....

LEE LF24

FRAM PH25

WIX 51258

PUROLATOR PER33

MOTORCRAFT FL9

Spotted the useful part yet?? The useful part is that Fram oil filters are available in nearly every motor factors across the UK (and about £8.00 as well!) cool.gif

Now, oil. Go for a nice non-synthetic 10-40 (10-30 is nigh on impossible to get over here). It's nice and thin compared to a 15 or 20-50. I think it was partco, but will let you know tomorrow as I pass the place on my way to work.

Happy servicing matey!!

I have used Quaker state 10W-30 in all my cars for more than 25 years & have never had an oil related problem .Also I usually change oil close to what the Buick engineers recomend Which on some cars is 7500 miles In my case,I change it between 6000 and 7000 miles except for the 67,which is not driven very much so I do it in the spring.Stock up on it when it is on sale.It keeps.

Guest invicta592

Yep, it was Partco where I found the oil. Can't remember how much it was though as I bought 4 Gallons of it, so it's lasted me a good long while blush.gif

It won't have been any dearer than any other oil though, or I wouldn't have bought so much. If you don't have a Partco near you, or can't find the oil, I could always try and get some here and post it ya!

Dad and I proved that no matter what the brand as long as ya changed it any oil is good as long as its fresh. Had a Pontiac we drove 175000 and it would start first crack every time, no rebuilds. Gave the car away. My 65 only has the 300 she never sees cold weather so I put 10W-40 in. When I drove it every day I went with 10W-30 because it was hard on the starter especially in cold temps. If you are prone to leaking or burning oil I'd say the 20-50 may be a good direction, but if your not having any problems 10W-40 should be good enough. I would never put synthetic in this car, its so slippery it goes past all the gaskets. Just my 2 cents.