O2 sensor removal

Arrallen

I am trying to remove the O2 sensor on my 90 Reatta. According to the archives it's a two minute no sweat job. Mine seems to be frozen in. I am using the correct special socket removal tool with a 15" breaker bar and got it to move maybe a quarter turn. Anybody have a simular experience and found a solution? Blow torch or penetrating oil work?

Definately sounds like it is seized - if can move a 1/4 turn try moving back and forth a bit with some liquid wrench or similar on the threads, should free up.

Dunno why but some mechanics (and the factory) sometimes play Godzilla. Proper torque is about the same as for a spark plug.

Once it has moved a 1/4" it "should" almost be loose enough to remove by hand. As a matter of fact, your analogy of a spark plug is right on, the threads are 18 mm large spark plug thread and could be chased with a tap if needed. It doesn't sound good for the threads if it cannot be removed by working it back and forth as you suggested.

The sensor must have been put in on a Monday. Sprayed it every night with penetrating oil for a week straight then forced it out using the breaker bar. There were hardly any threads left on the sensor. Used a thread chaser before I installed the new one.

Interesting, my check engine light came on every morning until the penetrating oil burnt off.