Information of Elcars

Hi

I have a 4-cylinder Lycoming engine, which once gave power to a Elcar. The only thing that is left from the car is the engine and it is stuck. But I think it is worth to save the motor for the brass plates and to wittness that also Elcars were driven in the roads of Finland.

Is there any such Elcars survived to the present? What kind of carburetor, generator, starter, gear box etc the car had. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Elcars were imported to Finland by a company called "Moottoritoimisto Elis Rikala" in Tampere.

Best wishes

Juha Kaitanen

• 3 weeks later...
Guest brockway

Here is a second proof that Elcars were once sold in Finland.

http://www.klassikot.net/ads.htm

Elcar brochure in Finnish-language! I guess it's printed somewhere between 1922-1924. Lycoming engine specs are mentioned in page 5; 46hp at 2400prm.

Very few were sold new in Finland. So far I've not seen an Elcar advert in any magazine by this importer. In fact I have never seen a single picture in any Finnish old-car magazine.

Elcar, formerly known as Elkhart-Pratt, built cars from 1908 all the way to 1931. There's a book about the company's history available in:

http://www.cruise-in.com/resource/cisbk13.htm

Regards,

Raul Valkila

Two years ago our Antique Studebaker Club visited a small museum in Middlebury, IN near the city of Elkhart, IN where Elcars were built. The museum was dedicated to "Pedal Cars" the type children used. The owner also had an interesting section with several Elcars of late 1920's era. I can't recall the name of the place but I have several photos of a 4 door sedan and a roadster on display. Unfortunately the photo files are large, I reduced resolution of one to attach here. Stude8

• 2 weeks later...