Legacy of the 300 V8

What is the overall perception or track record of the Buick 300? Specifically the aluminum head/manifold 4bbl version. Was it a decent motor? what kind of hp was it rated at? I ask because I have a 64 Sportwagon that is inching towards a rebuild. Would I be better served to swap this motor out with something more common such as a 350? Thanks in advance, Greg

Stick with that 300, it's a great engine. I have two '65 Sportwagons, one that's an original "keeper" with the 300 4V, ST300, and 3.08 posi rear. It goes like stink! I believe the specs say that this motor is 245 (might be 255) hp and 355 ft/lbs torque. My other Sportwagon is a solid builder that I am in the process of selling (still looking for buyers!), and it has, I believe, a '73 Buick 350 2V with a TH350. Granted, it's not in as-good shape, but it doesn't have anywhere near the "kick-in-the-ass" feeling that the original car does. The 300 is also excellent in the reliability dept.<P>My two cents!<P>Regards,<BR>Steve.

Had a 64 wagon,The water- heated intake made for good fuel vaporization,with very satisfactory performance and economy. An all-around good engine.