Chrysler heater trouble.

'53 Windsor

It's summertime, and my heater is broken. The problem is that it is stuck on! The car is a 1953 Chrysler Windsor. I bought this car at the start of the summer, and the heater has not shut off since then. I took the cover off under the hood, and the cable is hooked up, but I noticed a piece of copper wire attached to the valve. I traced this wire back into the passenger compartment where it was pushed up into the heater vent, but not connected to anything. Does anyone know what this wire is for? I thought it might be a ground wire or something, but I don't know much about heaters. Thanks for any thoughts.

Tom

Tom This heater probably has a mechanical valve controlling hot water flow to the heater coil inside the car; as compared to solenoid/electrical. If I had to guess,I,d say the steel cable running from the dash lever to the valve is broken, leaving the valve in the open position;allowing hot water to continually flow through the coil. Try moving the lever back and forth; and see if the valve mechanism moves. Also, make sure the valve stem itself is not broken. If I'm way off base, disconnect the hot water feed line and plug it up till this winter.

Tom If the valve is working (no broken valve stem or worn out valve butterfly) the hot water should cease to flow through the coil; thus no heat. I have no idea about this wire you mention. Is it an original part? I don't think Chrysler would have run a wire through a heater duct. Unless this car has a solenoid operated valve, there would no reason for it to be associated with the heater. I believe the blower motor would be the only electrical part of the heating system. Check and see if the heater hoses are crossed,ie feed line connected to water exit and return connected to feed.

my 70dodge d200 crew cab had a heater that was stuck on, just disconnected it and plugged the holes in the block with rubber ends that can be bought at the local auto supply store. if you disconnect it dont run a hose from the pump back into the block as it will be bypassing the radiator and could cause you to overheat. im sure someone makes a inline valve that you could use under the hood and just turn it off in the summer.

just a thought

tom