opinion on car insurance

Jan Arnett

I use American Collectors Insurance for my antique (1920's vintage) cars but FORTUNATELY I cannot comment on their settlement attitude: I've never had a claim.<P>Their rates were the best I found, and they have been responsive to my minor needs (faxing an ID card, binding an additional car, etc.) <P>As for mileage, that is really not an issue with me: 2500 miles/year is more than adequate for driving an antique car. If it were a newer car - 60's, 70's, etc. - it might be a factor, but if I had anything that new it would be my daily driver and would be under my normal insurance policy.

Thanks for your feed back. The cars that will be insured are a 1916 Ford, 1923 Moon, 1924 Star, 1964 Merc, 1982 VW. All are utilized for tours and pleasure and should not exceed the 2500 mile limit. Two do not have speedometers which makes that limit moot. I used to be insured with Taylor, had no problems, but they will not insure the VW and collectors will. Compared prices between Taylor, Grundy, Haggarty, and collectors and collectors was the lowested but I have no experience with them.<BR>Thanks<BR>Jan

I, too, was with Taylor for 27+ years. When I began to tour more and more with a '67, '69 and now a '70 I was told they wouldn't cover me over 2500 miles. That particular year I exceeded the 2500 midway on the Tallahasse Founders tour. When asked about it later was told no insurance after the 2500. <P>Since I was driving to California the next year I approached Grundy. (Did 7600mi on that trip) No Problem!! Even added another car that JC wouldn't take!! Didn't even check the others but feel they would have done the same. Also have had a small claim with Grundy, good experience. They know we take care of the cars!! and claims truely are an accident.<P>Can't understand the rates being too much different, but competition must drive them up and down.<P>If your're comfortable with whoever, go with them.<P>Chuck