1988 buick riviera

hernandez11

Im not sure if I put this in the right place, but i have a 1988 buick riviera and im not too fimiliar with the car. My problem is everyonce and a while when i run the car the engine will turn off when i brake and am not giving the car gas. I know it could be many things, but i was wondering if anyone knows anything about common problems with this car? I was planning on changing the plugs wires and distributor cap for starters but i notticed the distributor cap under the hood looks really weird its a rectangle, anyone know where i could get a new one, or have a better place to start working? confused.gif

What you perceive is the "distributor cap" is, in reality, the "coil pack" for the ignition system as it is a "distributorless ignition system", fully computer controlled. Underneath the coil pack is the "module" that runs things.

There were two different styles of coil packs back then. One was configured with one large coil pack where all six plug wires pluged onto it. The other was configured from 3 coil packs, with two plug wire each on them. This can be important if you need to replace any of those parts. No interchangeable pieces between them, as I recollect, as they were from different vendors. I don't think it matters with respect to the plug wires that mate with them, though. I might be a year model or two off as it's been a while since I've dealt with those things, but it seems like the question was "Magnavox or not Magnavox?", with respect to the coil pack. These are not typically something you change as a part of "normal maintenance", though.

Not sure if the ignition items might be contributing to your driveability issue, though. Does it seem to happen with a certain amount of fuel in the tank than at other times?

The idle speed is probably controlled by an Idle Air Control solenoid, which should be on the throttle body. If, per chance, it doesn't work right, it might cause a low idle speed situation OR if the passages in the throttle body that it controls are deposited-up. Might also be an EGR valve that is not closing at the lower speeds too, sometimes. But the IAC is what controls the idle speed, ultimately.

You might also check the many vacuum hoses that attach to the side or top of the throttle body itself. The might be having some "age issues" as the plastic block they attach to might also be having. Seems like somebody makes those blocks out of billet or an aluminum casting now?

A general cleaning of the throttle body (thorttle blade and internal passages) might be all you need. Check with your local GM dealer's service department and see what they are using to do that with as there are some automotive chemical vendors that only supply dealerships with items you can't find at the auto supply, usually as a comprehensive kit. You might even get them to do the job for a nominal charge, as it might require some special tools to do it "right".

I don't recall if those engines have aluminum cylinder heads, but that CAN be an issue if you desire to change the spark plugs and it is an alloy head engine. As in doing it only when the engine is fully cool and using an appropriate anti-seize compound on the spark plugs you put back in. You can do a lot worse than put the OEM-spec (or revised OEM-spec) ACDelco-boxed spark plugs back in there too.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I know it could be many things, but i was wondering if anyone knows anything about common problems with this car? </div></div>

Try posting on the Reatta Forum, the Reatta and the Riviera are basically the same car with different body styling. There is an incredible depth of expertise on your car awaiting you there.