Blower quit

LenHammond

The blower in my white 90 doesn't always blow. I found that if I rap on the blower motor it will often start but it doesn't always stay running. I suspected dry bearings so I removed it and put a couple drops of oil into the bearing areas. Seemed to help it run faster on the bench but it would not always start when power applied. Always ran if you got it started by turning the fan cage a bit if it didn't start on it's own. Now, I'm thinking a flat spot in the armature. Has anybody had success by opening the motor houseing and replacing brushes? I realize the houseing is a crimp together housing and that the crimps almost always are a one time use so another method of securing the housing would be needed.

What other blowers will fit the houseing. I have a 90 Century that I could rob parts out of if it might fit. Haven't had the time to look yet - maybe tonight.

Other thoughts?

Thnaks

Len Hammond

AC-Delco part number is 15-8534 and it shows 160 different models mostly big cars 1986-1991 and Minivans to 1996 that use the same replacement. Century is not one but might just be the backing plate.

Thanks for the information that this blower fits so may vehicles. Made finding a new one cheap pretty easy. New one works great. Other posts suggested that the evaporator might be coated with lint and dust and blocking air flow. This particular car was pretty clean. I did investigate the evap with a flashlight and mirror and it was pretty clean, so I put in the new blower. That has to be about the easiest blower change I've ever done, except maybe my 69 Buick Special with the straight 6 smile.gif

Len Hammond