emergency brake cables

Guest Randy Berger

Guest Randy Berger

I posted this in Fords (Other) also.

Does anyone rebuild emergency brake cables - specifically for a 1949 Mercury four-door sedan? Thank you for reading.

YFAM, Randy Berger

Guest Randy Berger

Thanks Glenn, I've never needed this service but would think a lot of vehicles do. I'm posting this for a friend.

YFAM, Randy Berger

Anyone who can silver solder can make a cable as long as you have the specs or a sample.

My service brake cables wore out when the car was 30 years old. I had an aircraft shop make me up new cables. They worked great but only lasted 20 years. The second time I was in a small town and didn't have access to an aircraft shop. I was told that silver soldering the balls and fittings on the end was as strong as you could get. I bought new cable and did the soldering myself. They have now lasted 24 years and seem to be as good as new.

Guest Randy Berger

Tinindian, thanks for the idea. The cable itself should be attainable at a hardware store. A Bernzomatic is probably needed for the soldering. Thanks again.

YFAM, Randy Berger

Guest DeSoto Frank

The "balls" or other cable ends were first "swaged" tight around the cable, using either a machine or a die & hammer, then possibly silver-soldered.

Silver soldering might require more heat than can be obtained from a propane "Harry-homeowner" torch...you might need MAPP or oxy-acetylene...

You will also need to thoroughly de-grease the last inch or two of cable for the silver-solder or braze to "take"...stranded cable is greased or oiled at time of mfr to prevent rusting...

Would probably be worth a few "practice" balls before attempting the real thing...

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Silver soldering might require more heat than can be obtained from a propane "Harry-homeowner" torch...you might need MAPP or oxy-acetylene...

</div></div>

I've used a regular propane torch to silver solder studs on the back of my grille surround before having it plated. It worked out fine, real strong!!

Guest Randy Berger

Thanks George - I'll pass the information along. We appreciate the response.

YFAM, Randy Berger