Another steep price? - 70 Buick Estate Wagon

Guest Shaffer

Guest Shaffer

I really like the 70 Buick Estate Wagons and they are rare. However, I think this one is priced a little too much. Is it?? <BR> <A HREF="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1807653031" TARGET=_blank>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1807653031</A><p>[ 02-24-2002: Message edited by: Shaffer ]

Unless you are buying a Kia or Yugo, an automobile is the most subjective selection you will make next to your spouse. Ultimately, a car is worth what YOU think it is. There will always be those who will say you paid too little, or that you got ripped off. If it is what YOU have been looking for, buy it.

Drive it and see if you like it - for $5,000 you can't get a worthless toyota. If this boat can go and the interior and body are in great shape why not? Buy it then paint it.

I love old wagons, and I'm still pretty new to the hobby. I don't know the Hemmings prices, and if this wagon is considered a 3-my guess-it seems a bit overpriced to me. Then again, Shaffer, you probably have a better guess on this car's value than I do.

No way that car is a 3. It is definately a 4. I think the owner is just fishing to see what he can get for it. I would do the same thing. Start high and see if someone bites.

Guest Shaffer

This was the only year Buick wagon with this body style. I think 1964 was the last year for the full-size Buick wagon until 1970. I find it odd that Buick added the wagon again in 1970, with this being the last year for that body design. I am suprised that they did not wait until 1971, and bring back the Buick, with the all-new "clamshell" design. Oldsmobile was the same way. I think 64 was the last year for the full-size wagon, but they DID wait until 1971 to wait for their wagon return and not 1970, as Buick did. I think the 70 Buick Estate Wagons are nice cars. I was not interested in the car, but rather thought that was a little steep, as I could have bought a 1970 Buick Estate Wagon, last April in Arkansas for $1,200 and that was the price with the car delivered. However, the transmission slipped. That car had all options, including woodgrain. This one on E-bay does does not have the optional grain. I have mentioned this before - About one mile from my house, there is a old man who my grandfather has known for years, has 1000s of old cars through his property (trees and hillsides). I have walked the area before. Most cars are from the 1950s-late 1970s. Some as old as the 30s. Anyway, he has a 70 Buick Estate Wagon, with the woodgrain. Car looked decent, aside from the moss on it. rolleyes.gif" border="0 Most of the cars there has sat for 15-25 years (some longer) and are mostly ruined. He just would/will not sell anything. Just rarely. A few of the cars, the goats have caved the tops in and and broken the glass. He also has a RARE 1971 Pontiac Grand Safari 2-seat (2-seats was very rare for the Grand Safari in 71) and it was like new when it went in there my uncle said. Finally he sold the engine (would noit sell it when he got the car) and now the car is setting among about 250 late 60s-early 70s cars, with the engine gone, setting on the ground, with the 1/4s rusted away. A real shame, as I have looked for a 71-72 Grand Safari for a long time to restore. A rare 1972 Ford Gran Torino Squire wagon sets behind it in similar shape. He also has a 60 Electra 2-door hardtop coupe - rusted away. I did once trade a 72 Cadillac to him for a 60 Oldsmobile Super 88, with factory A/C. I eventaully sold the car, as the engine had froze. He has a Hudson truck and even a early 50s Hudson convertible he bought new, now has a tree growing through the floors.

Tony: Not to change the subject, but thought you might be able to help with this. I can't seem to get "stationwagon.com" to open, keep getting rejected with a message saying "you don't have the right credentials" I know you're a frequenter of that site. Do you know what's up?<P>Thanks in advance,<BR>Steve.

Re; Stationwagon.com-I think he, the webmaster, has exceeded his bandwidth(?) allotment for the month. This site has become more and more popular and the classified section with photo posts has taken up much of the space. I love that site as well and have been bummed when it does go down. Greg

Yes, the stationwagon.com is down until March because it exceeded its bandwith. Before it went down, there was a 70 Buick Estate for sale. It was $1500 and in northern Ohio. I had the email for it but must have deleted it. Have to wait for the stationwagon.com site to come back online.

Guest Shaffer

They got it right. He is having a problem with something called a "ISP". The discussion group part of the site is still working, as it is a Yahoo group.