Erratic speedometer

Hi

Experiencing bouncing speedo needle after warmup. Replaced sensor on tranny, no good. Chilton's points to tranny sensor but when I disconnect it I still have needle working??? Also when it runs for about an hour the engine starts cutting out and the tach drops to zero. No codes are coming up...........Thanks in advance for any input....Ron

Hello

Sorry about that. It's a 91 with the 3.0 mitsubishi engine. Car runs great otherwise. Had the same problem 3 yrs ago and replaced speed sensor and took care of problem. Difference now is the engine will die for a second or two tach drops to zero. Then it will run fine. Also when it's acting up I can be parked and give it gas and the speedo needle goes up also? Thanks for the reply................Ron

• 5 years later...
Guest {TC}DH

While driving to school this morning I noticed the same problem. Is it for sure the speed sensor or is there some other fix? How serious is the problem or is it something that is only affecting the speedometere?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest My TC Toy

If you have replaced the "speed"sensor, one can only assume the sensor is ok. This is not a stupid question, but are you sure it was the speed sensor you replaced? There are 4 sensors on the side of that tranny. The only other thing is I would check for bad wiring, starting at the connection to the sensor. Trace the wires back as best you can. Look for corosion either in a splice or wire connector.

Best of luck.