Radio Replacement in a 91 Reatta

HRP

The radio in my 91 Reatta is dying. It has the tape and cd player. Has anyone replaced their radio with anything other than an original Delco unit? What fits? Or what GM vehicles used the same radio? Cross referencing is becoming difficult. I'd like to replace it with a radio/cd/mp-3 player.

Thanks.

i replaced my radio in my 88, i added a head unit into my center console. its an alpine and if i had spent another 50 it would play MP3s but i didnt need that. my friend installs sound systems at one of the local shops and didnt have any problem wiring everything to it. the origional radio is still in the car but it is not connected to any of the speakers. i dont know exactly how the 91s are set up but i cant use my touchscreen. it was a bit awkward for a week or so to have the headunit there but since then no problems.

be warned, cd players do not like to be vertical. while it looks like the unit is straight in it had to be mounted at an angle for it to play without skipping.

look around for people to install it, i dont know about you but as an 18 year old i have plenty of friends who know how to install a headunit normally but i would never trust them in my reatta. get an expert to do it for you thatway you have someone to complain to when things stop working. i paid 100 for someone to wirein the headunit, rewire the 6 speaker places, install new speakers, a pair of subs, and 2 amps, most shops were asking 350. basically, be smart and dont get taken. if it seems like too much then stop your reatta has only lasted 13 years without the new radio.

if your thinking of doing something with your radio do it all at once

i need to stop typing

the best place to look is www.mnrelectronics. just click on Delco, and have a look at all the units they have available. stay away from the Pontiac units; they will light up red. most of the units for mid-90's GM vehicles will plug right into the Reatta plugs.

you might want to give them a call, as I'm sure they have a lot more interchange knowledge than I do.

unlike the radios in the 1988-1989 Reattas, the 1990-1991 models use conventional radios that are easily replaced with other units.

Mike

Guest r_wright

I just had the Delco radio in my 91 rebuilt by United Radio in Syracuse, NY. They did a complete rebuild which includes a one year warranty for $149.00. The whole process including shipping both ways took just a little over a week. Here is their web site if interested:

http://www.unitedradio.com/auto_main.shtml

I believe the radio in the 90 and 91 are the same. I replaced the tape unit in my 90 with a 1.5 din Pioneer in dash cd which fit almost perfectly. I did have to shave some of the fiber at the rear where the antenna plugs in, but nothing major. BTW the acoustics in the Reatta are excellent. Even tho the radio is low end, the 6 X 9s in the rear were about $39 a pair, and the door speakers were also inexpensive larger magnet units I found in the garage, the sound impresses everyone who hears it. By contrast, the factory Bose Acoustimass system in my Aurora is no comparison. I should point out that I do not share the current craze for base bias so I did not feel the need for an amp or subwoofer. I like my sound as close to "instrument realistic" as possible.

Thanks to all who replied. But I am seeking a replacement unit that will play cd's and MP-3's and will fit properly in the dashboard and look "right" in the car. I'm going to be in there anyway within the next week replacing faulty climate control module, so I'm hoping to kill 2 birds with one stone. Suggestions.

Having recently replaced this in a '90 Reatta, let me pass on my advice from the process:

1) Unless you have a reason not to (budget, etc) get a Din and a Half radio. Crutchfield sells them and they are the full size which fits correctly.

2) If you do get a single DIN radio, you will most likely have to remove a small piece of plastic behind the radio in the dash with a hack saw to get it to fit, and have to get an adapter for the front end. I did this and spent many an hour making it look good. (Success, finally!)

3) A rebuilt stock radio can be used to play CDs/MP3s from a FM modulated changer...which is an option to keep it looking stock.

Just my few cents.

-Kris