Can I convert my brake master cylinder from a single to a duel?

How tough is it to convert a single master brake cylinder on a 64 Sportwagon to a duel? I would like to add discs eventually but feel a twin cylinder is a necessity before I put it back on the road. thanks in advance, Greg

I'm in the process of doing it right now on my '66 Skylark.<P>You need a '67 or later MC, booster, distribution block, and to bend new brake lines to fit the block. I'm also installing Praise Dyno Kevlar shoes and new hoses and two wheel cylinders.<P>About half way done - should take about a month at my skill level - one afternoon for somebody more skilled.

Yellowlark seems to have the right parts for your conversion. I would use a race type brake bias valve and test your setup well before unleashing yourself on the street.

I'm new to the Buick world (most of my collectable cars have been Chevys). But, I'd bet the rules are the same. You may need a different booster with drum versus disk brakes. Also, you have to use a proportioning valve for disk brakes but you don't have to have one with drum. So, you may want to make the switch to power and disk at the same time.<P>I made the switch to power drum brakes with dual master on a 64 Malibu and significantly improved the stopping.<P>Good luck.<P>Jerry

Thanks for all the input guys. I agree-I definately need to test and plan out my conversion before unleashing this 2 ton behemoth on the unsuspecting masses. yellowlark-I would love to hear how your conversion turns out along with any unforseen roadblocks or insight you may have encountered. thanks again, greg