Requirements for the National Driven Award

Centurion

Some questions have arisen in other topics regarding the requirement for the National Driven Awards. BCA President Pat Brooks was instrumental in creating this new class to encourage BCA members to drive their cars to the National Meets. I think this was a great idea, and I hope that Pat or other BCA Board Members can provide an explanation here of the requirements for the award.

I know that this has all appeared in past issues of the "Bugle", but it would be helpful for this information to be readily accessible to BCA members utilizing the club's website. One suggestion for the Board and Roberta to consider is adding a feature to the Club's homepage that provides brief explanations for the 400-point judging class, Archival Class, Driven Award, Modified Class, etc. If it is already there, I have not been able to find it. Adding this information (in a brief, summary format) would give us a resource where we could direct individuals having questions about classes and judging.

Regarding the Driven Awards, I've seen a couple of questions regarding acceptance of vehicles with after-market air conditioning units. What is the standard for "correctness" in order to qualify for this award? Are minor modifications -- such as installation of these systems -- acceptable for Driven Buicks?

I think it would be great if someone could post an image of the BCA's beautiful Driven Award badge. The award is so nicely done that it should offer a great incentive for members to pursue an award in this class.

Guest COMPACTBC

I have heard a lot of complaints about the requirements for this award! It almost seems that this is nothing more than an extention of the 400 point system. I thought that one of the primary reasons for this award was to ENCOURAGE members to drive their vintage cars to the National Meets. In my opinion not allowing some minor modifications and upgrades to make the cars more comfortable, reliable and safer for todays highways defeats the purpose of this award, which is to get members to drive their cars to a National Meet. confused.gif

Guest imported_Bob 55 Special

I think the Driven Award is a great idea. I got the Driven Award for my 55 at Plano. And will again if offered next year. The vagueness of the rules concerns me. I have been going with a personal rule that my car has to look like a 55 outside and only easily reversible changes are done. New halogen headlights, tires, etc. as one day I may want to be judged. Electric wipers would be great too. Diffident no nos in mind are changing to a not offered engine or transmission major body work like chopped tops etc.

The only complaint I had at Plano was that I was parked with the other Driven Class cars. It would have been great to be able to park by the Judged cars as I would like to be able to see what is on mine and compare it to the other 55s.

smile.gifI discovered the body shop had reversed my door locks by looking at another 55. Locks work much better now!

Hi there, I have a question too. My Wildcat convertible got a driven award which, after hanging out near the judges for a couple of cars, I didn't think I was going to get. My car has ralley wheels from later (maybe 66) and they "failed" a car for having ralleys on his Skylark. They were "big and littles" but I'm not sure if that was the reason. Mr. Brooks, is that why? Don't get me wrong, I am honored to receive an award at my first national, just curious. The lead judge, I believe Pat, asked me why I didn't sign up for the actual judging, yet another honor.

thanks- Mike

Good Morning All: I enjoyed reading the comments about the Driven Award. Thanks to all for the kind comments and as with everything things always need to be fine tuned and we will be working further. Brian, putting the information about the various awards and judging on the website is a great idea. I do not know why it has not been done as it seems obvious to me after you suggested it. I will be in touch with our Chief Judge about this.

I have written an article for the Bugle about judging in the Driven Class and it should be in the Bugle in about 60 days, which is the lead time for publication. However, after your suggestion I will be retyping it as a seperate entry on this website so it may be reviewed by all as soon as possible. I will also type out a reminder of the many modifications allowed in the Driven Class which make it very flexible. However, as with all such activities there must be rules and at some point the award is denied. Look for the website entry today, assuming I find time to get it done.

Mike, as to the wheels on your Wildcat I do not have the judging records at my desk at home at 6:30am. But chrome wheels were available beginning in 1964 for Wildcats. My recollection is that the Wildcat became a seperate series in 1963 and if your car should not have had the chrome wheels the judges may have not noticed it. Next year we will be more careful and remind me at that time to more carefully check your car-ha ha. There can be matters not caught by the judges and I know this from having judged in the 400 point system for many years. However, when awards are made they usually stand and that is how it will be in the Driven Class. We are not perfect and will continue to do our best. My experience is that the owner of a car is often more knowledgeabe about various details and wrinkles in manufacture and equipment than the judges. We cannot know all about everything and I know this myself as the cars I have owned have made me more knowledgeable than some of the judges who have evaluated my car. This is just life and we learn as we go.

Keep the faith. Patrick W. Brooks, President, BCA

I also received a "driven" award at Plano for my 69 Sportwagon. I think for a first attempt ,the judging went well. I also saw somw Buicks in the driven line up that looked good enough for 400 point judging. I am planning on taking my 40 to Batavia next year, and also have a question. I have the 41 exhaust manifolds on my 40 ,and instead of a "Y" pipe, have installed a dual exhaust system. It utilizes stock mufflers, and really looks "factory. If this will not be allowed ,I would like to know now, so I can either change it or bring another car.

Hello Joe: Your Sport Wagon received many favorable comments. When I was judging it someone came up and asked about buying it. I was willing to take his money but could not put my hands on the title. Should I have taken his name?? In the months before leaving for Plano I received a number of emails and calls with questions about judging the Driven Class. It is always best to ask before getting on the field at the National. I must consult the parts book and other sources before answering your specific question. I will be in touch. Patrick W. Brooks

Good Morning Joe: Thanks for the email about the 41 manifolds/carb situation. It ventures to far into the modified area. I wanted to check the parts book to see, for example, if a 1950 Parts Book listed the 1941-42 dually setup as a replacement for the earlier single system. I cannot find anything which states that the dual setup is a listed replacment system. I know they fit but changing it back to original is the way to go. Thanks for asking. Patrick W. Brooks

Guest my3buicks

This class that was to attract more Buicks to National Meets is quickly becoming a hornets nest. Maybe the BCA should take a look at the AACA Drivers Participation Class for some pointers.