Light monitors (Buicks and Chevrolets)

Guest Shaffer

Guest Shaffer

On a previous post we had been speaking of light monitors on the late 60s and early 70s Buicks. Someone had mentioned that some of the late 1960s Chevrolets had light monitors as well. This is true. Here is a link to a loaded 1968 Chevrolet Caprice 4-door hardtop sedan. This car looks to have EVERY option except for the fender skirt option (which was available and was on most 67-68 Caprices (69-76 fenderskirts standard). Also speaking of rare GM options on their late 60s and early 70s cars, this 68 4dr Caprice has the rare (for a 4-door) tachometer, as well as the light monitors. Also has A/C, power windows, locks, power seat, tilt, posi-rear axle and rally wheels. This is a very nice car. If you look on the pictures of the front-end you can see the monitors. It mentions that they are fiber-optic. I would like to have it if I had the room for it. <BR> <A HREF="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=601875756" TARGET=_blank>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=601875756</A> <P>Tony<p>[ 02-06-2002: Message edited by: Shaffer ]

Guest Dans 77 Limited

Im not sure Tony , the only reason I know its on the 70 is because my brother in law owns a 70 with fiber optics.<P>Dan

The last year Chevy's had a light monitor option was 1970. They were first available very late in the 67 model year. They were available for the large Chevs, Chevelles, Camaros, and the 70 Monte Carlo. An interesting thing about the Chevy option was that it included front and rear monitors for every body style, including wagons and convertibles. One taillight and the license light was monitored. They weren't expensive (<30), but I don't think many Chevy buyers loaded up their cars with options. If anyone is interested in this kind of Chevy trivia, get the small book 'Chevrolet SS Muscle Car Red Book'. It shows the number of Chevys sold with each option.

A couple of nice options not present on the mentioned '68 Caprice would be the concealed headlights, bumper guards and wood sport steering wheel. Lack of fender skirts may be related to the rally wheel option and clearance issues.<BR> i know that '70 Monte Carlos were not available with rally wheels and fender skirts because of lack of clearance with the rally wheel center caps. Henry.

Guest Dans 77 Limited

Thanks for the info Henry , I will let my brother in law know about that , because that is exactly what he wanted to do, put skirts over his rally wheels, I didnt think it would look to good , but its not my car .<P>Dan

Dan if your brother wants to use fender skirts he can get the earlier '67 flat style center caps and it may work. The '68 and newer style caps have the tall "hat" design that sticks out too far and will contach the skirt. Other not so good options is to run sans cap on rear wheels or could also just remove bolted on piece from center cap. Henry

I am Dan's brother in law with the 70 Monte. Just a couple notes.<BR>You could get the Monte with fender skirts and ralley wheels. Where you may run into problems was on the SS454, the wheels and tires were wider and not available with with fender skirts. I have a set of skirts which I have considered installing and I held them in place and they clear the tires, and the center top hat of my ralley's.<P>Regarding the Fiber Optic Light Monitoring system. Mine is equipped with this option and the front ones have two indicators on each fender one is green which is for the head lights and one is white for the front turn signals. Models with double headlights on each side would have three indicators on each fender, one for each head light and one for the turn signal.<BR>As for the indicator for the rear lights, what was stated before is not correct for what is in my car. Mine has three indicators in the block on the rear package tray, one for the plate light and one for each side turn signal/brake light.<BR>A couple other options on my 70 Monte is the map light on the rear view mirror, front kick panel lights, windshield washer low indicator light and two tone paint.<BR>Rob

Guest Shaffer

I would imagine that the map light option would be a very rare option on the Monte Carlo. Even my 72 Buick Electra 225 Custom did not have this option, nor did my old 72 Cadillac Sedan DeVille. Although the Cadillac did have standard cornering lights and light monitors and the Electra had the optional cornering lights. One particular option I like on the early 70s Monte Carlos (I think it is a option) is the color-keyed hubcaps. There is a local 70-72 Monte Carlo <BR>(not sure of the year, as I have never seen the front parking lamps, as the car is always facing in the driveway). It is a red car, with the red color-keyed wheel covers. They look similar to the 71-72 Chevrolet Caprice hubcaps.

Shaffer,<BR>The color keyed hub caps on the First Generation Monte was an option. On the one which is always facing in and you can't see the front to determine the year, try this. Looking at the car from the rear here is what to look for:<P>70 Tail light lens have a chrome piece around the lens but no chrome piece running down the middle. There is no Monte Carlo emblem surrounding the trunk lock.<P>71 This year the thin chrome strip was added down the middle of the tail light lens and the Monte Carlo emblem was added around the trunk lock.<P>72 This year had everything the 71 had but also added an aluminum belt below the trunk and above the bumper running from tail light to tail light<P>Bumper Guards were available as an option each of these years.<P>The hardest angle to determine a first gen year is from the side unless the hood spear is visible and even then it may be hard since the spear on the 71 is felt by many as the most attractive and many people will install it on their 70.<BR>Rob

The "Mirror Map Lamp" option was generally an Olds thing and seems like most of them 68-72 had it- every one I've ever owned came with it. Always thought it odd that the Fiber-Optic lamp monitor was available only on cars at extreme ends of the GM price schedule, and especially odd that gadget-master Oldsmobile, who were obsessed with lighting options, didn't offer it. Guess it was too simple for them- they came out with the "Electronic Lamp Monitoring System" in 1971, which wasn't near as simple or effective and only flashed a "Lamp Monitor" idiot light on the dash. Then YOU had to walk around the car and figure out which lamp was burned out. I've had a couple with this option too, and couldn't understand why they didn't use the fiber-optics until late 1970s. Probably because they didn't invent it... shades of DynaFlow!