51 Dynaflow Ques: rubber boot or metal retainer.

Puka

hello:

because of a leak on the Dynaflow I had rebuilt 4 or 5 years ago, I am replacing seals. I am also replacing the rubber retaining "boot". I bought the parts from an old timer that had a everything I need (I think). He suggested I get the metal retainer that he claims were originally started to be put on the 57 Dynaflow. But he said they'd work (and work better) on the '51.

Anyone know if this is the case? Is it better to use the metal retainer, thereby replacing the rubber boot that came stock on the 51 Dynaflow?

I'll get a digital pic shot of it and post it, if that'll help you understand what I mean.

Thanks guys.

I assume you mean VULCANIZED outer retainer?? confused.gif

Your 51 would have used a "metal to metal" seal with a rubber boot over the outside to keep dirt out and to keep dust from galliing the metal. Not a great system. An outer retainer with a vulcanized rubber lip was introduced in the later 50's and retrofitted to many cars. These later retainers were reproduced by a nameless company in New Jersey for a while, BUT the quality of the vulcanizing was so poor that the company dropped the product.

If you can find a used outer retainer (even if the rubber is bad Steele can re-do it) that is the way to go.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I assume you mean VULCANIZED outer retainer?? confused.gif

Your 51 would have used a "metal to metal" seal with a rubber boot over the outside to keep dirt out and to keep dust from galliing the metal. Not a great system. An outer retainer with a vulcanized rubber lip was introduced in the later 50's and retrofitted to many cars. These later retainers were reproduced by a nameless company in New Jersey for a while, BUT the quality of the vulcanizing was so poor that the company dropped the product.

If you can find a used outer retainer (even if the rubber is bad Steele can re-do it) that is the way to go.

Bill </div></div>

Thanks Bill. Your reply was helpful. I am going to have to check part no's.

My current set up is with the old vulcanized rubber boot -- at least it appears to be vulcanized. But it's a bit loose. Maybe the heat under there wasn't very good for it. The thing of it is, I bought it new when I had the Dynaflow rebuilt 5 years ago, and I am just now, in the past few years, starting to put mileage on it. I wonder if the part itself was no good, or if, as your reply seems to suggest, the old set up was very good.

I think I may indeed have bought one of those old (NOS) retainers from the "nameless" company as I didn't find ID'd markings the first time I looked (though my eyes are getting bad). The vulcanized lip looks good. I think I am going to use it to replace my current set up on the 51 Dynaflow. I understand that I can use it with the 51 even though these things weren't made until 1957?

P.

Thanks for your post.

I hope that everyone is not tiring with my endless questions on this, but:

Both the above post and the one about putting universal clamps on the boot don't seem to make much sense to me.

I mean, in a sense, esp. with the uni-clamp solutation, isn't the only thing you're doing is making sure that trans. fluid doesn't get on your driveway? I mean, eventually the boot would probably explode right? It doesn't really solve the problem!

Anyway, taking the damn thing in in a few weeks!

• 4 weeks later...