Why no kerosene when cleaning air-cleaner assembly

Puka

I've read some places (I think the Buick shop manual included), that you shouldn't use kerosene when cleaning out the air-cleaner element and assembly and other places say it's okay.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

P.

Guest imported_NikeAjax

I would think it's so you don't cause an intenal fire if the car misfires and the flame goes through the carb, which would then burn the kerosene, and then the oil in the oil bath. Oil goes everywhere when they "sneeze" like that and oil fire can be pretty nasty.

Maybe I'm wrong here but, it could happen.

Jaybird

I know kerosene was used in earlier times to clean oily parts, but then people used to use gasoline for similar things too. In those earlier times too, people did use some things that could cause problems as cleaning agents just because it was "what they had around at the time" and not because they were good cleaners per se. Anything that's flammable always carries the possibility of causing a fire, even if appropriate safety precautions are taken. Decreasing that risk is always a good thing.

In modern times, after getting the oil and residue out of the air cleaner sump and cleaning the mesh section, I think I'd use some of the more modern degreasers to do the final cleaning. They usually work much faster than kerosene would, I suspect. Misting some K&N Filter Oil or WD-40 (or similar) on the mesh section might be an option to put some oil back into the mesh before it might dry out. Proper disposal of the oil and residue removed from the filter is necessary also.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Thanks for the posts. I figured the only reason that Kerosene was discouraged is for the safety issue.

Still, thought I'd ask.

I am thinking about using a parts cleaner for the air-cleaner assembly, while I soak the actual filter element in kerosene or something to get rid of the muck.

Do I just add oil to the air cleaner pan, or do I also have to soak the element in oil?

Thanks.

P.

PS: I am using 10/30 motor oil. I reckon it's okay?