Towing an old 49 Buick w/ auto

Guest daddio

Guest daddio

I'm thinking about bringing a car back from vacation. I don't want to have a trailer on vacation. I have a very heavy duty towbar, it is a 1949 Buick Super. 1350 miles, good tires, good front end, 3/4 ton truck to pull with. My questions: Will the automatic trans. sustain any damage over such a long trip? Anybody see any serious problems I don't foresee? Tell me the driveshaft's tourque tube dosn't have to be undone.

Regards,

Mark tongue.gif

no, you cannot tow a dino-flow without burning it up. The unit self lubricates only when running.

you cannot disconnect the torch tube without pulling the rear axel back with a "come-a-long". it's a [censored]

and if you are thinking about a tow dolly, with the car rolling backwards, be careful that the lower front fender don't rub the dolly ramps when you turn a corner.

Guest imported_bjr

Just a question, what if the 49 being towed was left running at an idle while being towed? Would that lube the Dynaflow enough to prevent damage? Brian

I assume the car is inrunning condition. On that basis,take the cer out on a test run. While driving about 50.shift the car into neutral,and let the engine die conpletely. Turn the key on and put the Dynaflow in "L" The car should start. This proves the rear pump is working. Started working on Dynaflowa in 1947(in Flint, Michigan) Tow and enjoy!

Guest imported_moopar2ya2

What about towing a standard? I would have to tow about 500 miles.

Thanks

Just an opinion but wouldn't you worry about the car stalling as you tow it along? It woud apear to be a safer bet to rent a dual axle trailer and bring it in that way. I pulled a 5100 lb Cadillac back to VA from Philly, but then again I wasn't on a vacation.

re towing a standard. There are many standard transmissions ruined by towing. If the transmission is in neutral and the lubricant is not high enough to be circulated completely by the mainshaft you will ruin the gears and bearings. Normally the lubricant is circulated all around (splashed if you will) by the counter shaft turning and it only turns when the input shaft turns. It is possible to leave the transmission in second gear and block the clutch out. I have seen ten times as many standard transissions ruined by tow truck drivers than automatics.

By the way it's not that big a job to pull the torque tube back from the transmission and then to tie it up above the rear of the tranny. With a bumper jack you can do it in about an hour including jacking the car up and letting it down. After paying nine hours flat rate to have my 53 clutch replaced and seeing that the vehicle was less than two hours in the shop I soon learned how to do it myself. By my third clutch in as many months I could change one on a crushed rock driveway in less than two hours. Then I learned not to drag race with it.

Guest imported_moopar2ya2

Thanks TinIndian for the advice on the manual towing. I should really trailer it but the weight of the car and trailer is pretty heavy for most of these new light weight vehicles.

Have to move from Regina to Calgary.

Guest daddio

Guys,

Thanks for the info. The head is off. The front end is also off. I'll see just how hard it would be to pull the torque tube.

Thanks,

Daddio