I'm just saying...

RatReatta

i know how when i brought up the whole supercharger idea it kind of irritated some people about ignorant car owners(thats me)but heres round two.

my bright idea is.... to fiberglass a headliner.

i first was thinking about how the liner in my car was kind of ratty and that i needed to see about replacing it or fixing it somehow. that thought lasted for about 2 seconds and then i forgot about it. about a week later, i was at my friends house and his older brother was catching grief over the smell he had caused. he was in the process of fiberglassing his truck's headliner.

well, that spawned the idea of a headliner , then what made it worse was my previous quest of putting an NES (yea, 8bit) and then an lcd where my broken tape deck is. anyway, these two thoughts spawned an idea for a fiberglass headliner with spots for a screen and/or speaker mounts. that made me think about a passenger side 16 way seat (is it strange that only the drivers side is?)

anyway, have at it and tell me where im making mistakes, thats what im looking for

Sorry, I won't pick on you. I'm a NES collector and I think you should think about an Xbox or PS2 instead.

The Nintendo if played by a passenger while driving would skip/freeze much more then a disk, and the game cartridges could be damaged if left in the car in the heat.

The xbox has a dvd drive like a computer and could be detached from the box and mounted in a remote location. The disk could skip but the game loads in advance and should not be a problem.

The Ps2 has a DVD player like a walkman with anti skip technology and also loads. But it is more fragile then the xbox and probably should not be removed.

wow, um, actually the reasoning for the NES was that it was something simple and relativly cheep, i have an xbox, but not only has that been done its also too complex game wise to pick up and just start playing, its no "olympic running" game where you can toss out the mat onto a smooth parkinglot and get 3 other morons to run with you. nothing against the headliner?

**also, umm, i dont know people with the expertise who could take apart an xbox like that. might be worth it to use that as my dvd player, if im gonna go with a screen i might as well go for it.

Better build a cooler for your nes games.

Xbox is easy to take apart, 6 torx screws, 4 under the rubber pads, 2 under stickers. The DVD drive cannot be used as a stand alone or even in a computer.

Ps1 (the small compact playstations) might be an idea. They are normally cheap at pawnshops, games are still easy to play and cheaper then Nes games are.

You want to be seen in public running on one of those mats?

It's your car, do what you want.

A few of us have already done the dual 16-way seat thing. You'll need a 16 way drivers seat as a donor (same color as you already have preferred), the switch pod can be mounted to either side of the seat (you'll have to reverse the orientation of the electric switches within the pod). If you are going to transfer the leather from your passenger seat you'll need hog-ring pliers as well as hog rings. There is a piece of vinyl that connects from the thigh bolster to the seat bottom, so you'll have to either re-use the seat bottom leather from the donor seat, or stitch the vinyl extension covering to your existing passenger side leather cover.

The Riviera T type was equipped with dual 16-ways, so if you are very lucky, you can find the proper right-handed switch plate for your passenger side.

The truth is, the 16 way passenger seat is even more useful than the drivers side as the passenger isn't driving and can really exploit its serious lounging capabilities. It's like having a Lazy Boy recliner in the car.

Guest Greg Ross

The fiberglass headliner is good option if you want to incorporate an overhead console, screen, whatever. FYI, the headliner is fiberglass, it's there as a sound insulator. When the covering fails (actually the adhesive) its' normal to recover it. Moulding an entirely new one is definitely a challenge.

ooooh,is the origional fiberglass 'liner removable? is would have to be in some way right? anyone ever take it down?

if the 'liner goes right i was thinking of adding 4 more speakers and possibly an lcd display if i can find one large enough that is affordable and then the dual 16 way seats and the reatta would be the ultimate lounge car, all it would need then was a cooler for games/refreshments.

also, i was already thinking of glassing in the spare tirewell and behind the rear tirewells in the trunk for my subs, the box i have is kind of crappy. anyway, i think if the headliner goes well ill begin work on other things, like the carpeting on the doors and the carpeting around the centre console. i was thinking gloss black all the way around. im seeing what i can do to get away from the tan and i think im going to try to move into black and red, anyone with any extra interior pannels?

Guest Buick Mike

It's not fiberglass like you are probably imagining. It's more like a pressed material. Kind of like the difference between that pressed wood stuff that cheap cabinets are made out of and real wood.

Yes, it is removable. The only thing holding it up are the moldings, the sunvisors, and some velcro. Oh, and the dome light. It's really easy to take down.

Mike