1950 chevy deluxe ignition

i have a 1950 chevy deluxe(left to me). it has a dead battery, im trying to get it started (ran for last owner). the igniton is left, straight up and down and right. without the key the ignition turns. what positon should it be in to start and where should it be in to be off. can anyone help me, i fell like an idiot. thanks

Welcome to the Forum! I do not know the answer of your problem off hand but I suspect someone will shortly. Is it a 6 volt system? If so you may need a new 6 volt battery. Also check all of the negative grounds to be sure they are tight, and clean. Battery cables are also a large source of problems if old. Be sure to get the proper gauge, like 1 or 00. They are really thick, and if you have trouble finding them, I can recommend the following :

I was looking for a new woven, 6 volt negative cable for the '47 Cadillac. I found it, 19" long, at

Antique Battery Co., Inc. Hudson Ohio. If you are looking for authentic batteries and equipment try these folks. They were a big help to me.

(330) 425-2395.

Their catalog lists batteries for Packards, Lincolns including Mopar, and Mercury.

I hope that helps a little. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Welcome to the Forum! I do not know the answer of your problem off hand but I suspect someone will shortly. Is it a 6 volt system? If so you may need a new 6 volt battery. Also check all of the negative grounds to be sure they are tight, and clean. Battery cables are also a large source of problems if old. Be sure to get the proper gauge, like 1 or 00. They are really thick, and if you have trouble finding them, I can recommend the following :

I was looking for a new woven, 6 volt negative cable for the '47 Cadillac. I found it, 19" long, at

Antique Battery Co., Inc. Hudson Ohio. If you are looking for authentic batteries and equipment try these folks. They were a big help to me.

(330) 425-2395.

Their catalog lists batteries for Packards, Lincolns including Mopar, and Mercury.

I hope that helps a little. Good luck. </div></div>

Randall, He was asking about the position of the ignition switch, you know 10 o'clock, high noon and 2 o'clock. Then you set him up to buy batteries, cables, authentic equipment........you'll scare the poor guy away! smirk.gif

Guest DeSoto Frank

JC:

I had a 1950 Chevy Fleetline Deluxe not too many years ago...

Here's the deal with the switch (if I'm remembering correctly):

The switch should have a little tear drop or tail coming off the face of it (below where the key goes in); if it does then here are the positions:

1) Key turned all the way to the left (counter clockwise): "Off" (and locked, if key is removed).

2) Key in middle position (key/slot vertical): "Off", but not locked if key is removed from cylinder (you can turn the switch "on" & "off" w/o the key, by using that little tail on the switch).

3) Key/switch turned all the way to the right (clockwise): "ON"; use push button next to headlight switch to operate starter.

I'm not sure why G.M. thought this switch design was a good idea...it enables the car to be left with the ignition switch unlocked, enabling "keyless" operation, by anybody...not exactly a theft deterrent.

If the key is removed while the switch is in the "Center-off" or "on" position, is should be impossible to turn the switch to the far-left "Locked" Off position w/o re-inserting the key.

Hope this helps!

Good luck!

Frank McMullen

Frank,

Having driven those cars when they were new, the concept was a one key setup.

That one key opened the trunk and glove box as well as operating the ignition.

When you parked your car in an attended parking lot [for those of you who were driving before the modern no service lots took over the country] you turned off the engine and removed the key. In that manner the engine could be started by the attendant but security maintained in the trunk and glove box. Also the key could not be duplicated in your absence for use in a later theft. You were also assumed to be intelligent enough to turn to switch to the "LOCK" position and remove the key before leaving the car unattended.

I still have a couple of those cars and find the setup quite practical. But then I know left from right which appears to no longer be taught in high school driving classes, to judge from an experience of yesterday near a high school. frown.gif

But then they don't know that the bill of a baseball cap goes in the front either.

To whomever it may concern:

When someone comes on here with a direct question, give them a direct answer. If you don't know the answer, stay away. Please don't come on here with all kinds of extraneous information. Answer the damn question only, please!

This may be deemed by some as an offensive remark. If so, remember --- so solly. grin.gif

Guest DeSoto Frank

Howard,

Thanks for the explanation of G.M.'s rationale behind the "tailed" ignition switch...

I know the early ('47-'50) AD Chevy trucks had such a switch, as did my '50 Fleetline; but my '36, '41 & '54 Chevy trucks had the "tail-less" ignition switches.

I think my mother's '61 Buick had some sort of tail on the switch too, for "single-key" operation...

Folks are often puzzled as to why I exit the '41 De Soto on the passenger side (when locking it up)...I stop and explain that once upon a time, "polite" folks exited on the curb -side of the car, instead of stepping-out into traffic, and therefore, at one time, a single exterior lock on the passenger side of the car was deemed adequate...my pre-1964 Chevy trucks are set-up the same way...

Frank ~ You won't believe this but the new GMC Envoys have NO KEYHOLE on the right front door, only the one in the driver's door. My wife carries only the key to the Envoy since she rarely drives it and doesn't want to be bothered with the electronic opener. She says that sometimes things in her purse press against it and set things off. On a trip recently I asked why she went to the drivers side to unlock the car when she wasn't driving. It was then that I found out about "no lock on the passenger door." Must have saved GM at least $1.50 per car. mad.gif 40K for a car and you have to go out in the street to unlock a door with the key. confused.gifmad.gif

hvs

Guest DeSoto Frank

"Progress" !

I think my wife's Neue Beetle is the same way...

I only have the "chauffeur's key" (door & ignition only), which is a pain, because the remote trunk release rarely works (as does the fuel filler door release - and this is a 2000 model - a NEW car... mad.gif), and my key doesn't operate the outside deck lock...