Headlights

I spent $800 + getting my headlights switch replaced (parking lights would stay on unless you kept hitting switch until they went off) and still it seems the headlights are not very bright. Sometimes I get in the car and drive not even realizing I did not turn them on. that is how dim they are and how used I am to "driving in the dark" Is this a common thing? Do I have the wrong headlights in? Has anyone else had this problem?

thks mucho cool.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Just replaced my headlights today with Sylvania Silver Stars H6054ST. Let me tell you it is one of the best improvements that I've done on this car. Bic lighters were brighter than the stock lights. Highly recommended.

Guest imported_wmptom

You were finally right about something after 43 years. Hope it makes you feel better, I may ask you for the same next year.

The headlights on my 89 are very dim. They are so bad I can run full-time on high beams and no one coming at me minds. I will try the ones you suggested. Thanks. My 91 coupe and convert do not have the same problem. What about those crazy diamond cut ones on ebay. are they any good or should I stick with the Sylvania?

Chuck Parry

No, you want the Silver Stars. Just bought a pair of 6054STs at Pep Boyz for $19.95 ea.

If headlights are weak on both beams, I'd want to check that they are getting a full 12v with the engine off.

Has anyone tried the 880s or 893s in the fog lights ? Did they melt ?

are the 880 and 893 interchangible I have been looking for soemthing brighter. i think i saw some of the correct number at walmart that were the Silver Star also. They are 18.95 each

Derek

I put a conversion kit into my headlights so I can use regular H4 bulbs. The problem is, I can't find a good bulb. I have seen some honda's and even some chevy trucks with bulbs that look like xenon, but probably aren't. Anyone have any idea what type of bulb they are?

Guest EDBS0

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone have any idea what type of bulb they are? </div></div> PIAA

Guest Greg Ross

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I spent $800 + getting my headlights switch replaced </div></div>

Luvmy-Was it just the Headlamp Switch (installed) that cost you $800. That is an outrageous price and the Module (new)as I recall is under $200. But for $800. I have one new-in-the-Box if anyone is interested!

that pesky gmpartsdirect.com has the 1988-1989 light switch module assembly, part number 1640029, for $141 and change. the list is about $248.

if I had an '88 or '89, I would definitely buy one of these to keep around. I doubt they will be available for much longer. the failure rate for these (used) in the past year has skyrocketed. we won't even sell used ones anymore.

Mike