MONSTER CADDY TO THE SHOP

jaxops

Hooorraayyy! I finally got my 56 Cadillac limo to the shop for an engine rebuild. After 4 months of planning to trailer it down, and 3 months working on shops to get it overhauled, the project is underway. Martin's Auto Body near NAS Oceana is pulling the engine for the Head Shop who will rebuild and paint it. Martin's is also blasting the underside and priming, rebuilding the brakes, replacing the exhaust system, and repacking the wheel bearings. I finally get to put on my new Diamond Back WWW tires that I bought last November.

It was strange that I couldn't get a shop to do the whole job, but most machine and engine shops only want the engine, so I had to arrange a "teaming agreement." I have also been very surprised at the amount of parts available for 1956 on EBay. Some good deals. Luckily most of the trim and parts are on the car.

Hoping to be "steaming" in May 04. (Of course my wife is now enjoying parking her station wagon back in the garagewith the Caddy gone!)

cool.gif

I parted out a 1956 Cadillac 62 series sedan several years ago and have some mechanical parts if you need any, including a good carburator. The car I parted out had the roof cut off of it, as it was used by a bar for a DJ stand.

The seats were taken out, and the DJ sat in the car spinning records. Yes, it was painted pink (what else?) The hood & trunk lid were all bashed in from people dancing on it too! Be careful with the transmission in your '56. In 1956, GM tried to smooth out the "bumps" between shifts in the hydramatic, and they had problems with them. I have heard of some people going back & retro fitting 1955 hydramatic in a 1956 car. Good luck!

Guest imported_JPIndusi

Sounds pretty exciting. These were beautiful cars when Cadillacs were really at the top the GM family. I never understood why they marketed the Cimarron and other failures.

I agree with the previous post, the 56 Hydromatics were troublesome compared to the 55 units. The Oldsmobile line called it Jetaway Hydromatic and they were also known to have problems.

Good luck and post a photo if you can.

Joe

Thanks for the transmission tip. That is working well, but will need a thorough rechecking after the engine rebuild. The power steering pump was leaking so badly that it got me down the driveway only. I was able to get a rebuilt pump and resevoir on Ebay. I posted my photos of the trip down from Phila. Here is the link again if you want a good chuckle out of the story (http://www.spokenwheel.com/p92a.htm). I will post a few photos of the before/after as this progresses.

When it comes back, I'll just have body work and paint, carpets, headliner, door panels, jump seats, rear seat, air conditioning, radio, wipers, wiring harness, rear window motors..... just to name a few.... what fun. I must be a car Nut because it's fun but all sooooo expensive! crazy.gif

• 1 month later...

Well, after a month (and a few weeks to go) the engine is disassembled and being cleaned and polished. I ended up needing new pistons, rings, and a new camshaft. (Talk about the "money-pit!") I don't think the mileage report was correct on this car because the engine was pretty worn out looking!

I picked up a dual exhaust system and a set of motor mounts on EBay, so I think we're heading for a completion date in June. Air conditioning is my next step. I drove my 70 Buick with the windows down in the 96 degree heat the other day and just about passed out. Virginia is looking for a hot summer, and it's here even though it's only May!

Plenty of photos. I will get some posted on the next update.

cool.gif