Carburetor Replacement Suggestions?

Mark Huston

I have 1929 Studebaker President that uses a Stromberg "UU-2" Updraft (2 barrel for a 337 straight eight). This carburetor is made of pot metal and I have had to have it rebuilt 3 times. I don?t blame the rebuilder for this; it is the 70-year-old pot metal that is the problem. It is impossible to get and maintain the correct jet sizes and clearances with this unstable old pot metal. My question is this: What late model carburetor can be interchanged with this Stromberg? There used to be a company making the Zenith Universal carburetors that were designed to be replacements for just about any model car or engine. I understand that they are no longer being made. The car is a driver, not a show car trailer queen. Any ideas what else I could use?

Guest stude8

You could do what I did a long time ago, go to your local vintage boat yard and see if there are any 1929 Lodge Marine conversions with the all brass UU-2, it was on a Commander 8 in a rotten Mahogany hull. I regret I didn't take the whole Commander engine, it had water cooled exhaust manifolds. I have the UU-2 on my trophy shelf. It has thumb adjustable main jets, not fixed, so you can tweek the mixture under way.

Realistically, an Aluminum adapter plate wouldn't be a big project to match any carb flange to the President manifold flange, finding an updraft carb with enough capacity for the big 8 is a tougher problem. If you run it lean the valves will hate you for it. Another option is a single bore updraft like the FA President used. Stude8

Mark,

How are you? Roseanna and I had a good time caravanning with you down to Stockton-- we'll have to do something like that again.

Sorry to hear about your carburetor problems. Cave you tried the Carburetor Shop back in Missouri? They have lots of Stromberg parts and complete carbs and may have what you're looking for with your UU-2.

Telephone: 573) 392-7378

I have a UU-2 carburetor on my 1929 Hupmobile. It is made of pot metal and it works fine and there is no problem with the metal. I think it is only to find a good example of the UU-2. If the pot metal alloy has the right proportions it will last for ever. However, vater in the gas may destroy it even in new carburetors. What is the problem with your carb? Is the pot metal disintegrating?

Jan

Stude8, Here in the River Delta area that I live in I have lots of marine shops around and will check into your suggestion and see if I can come up with something.

RichardF, Yes we had fun and I am looking forward to another drive. The problems with the carb does not keep me from driving the Studebaker, just does not make it as enjoyable as it could be.

Guffin, The problem I am having is the air/fuel mixture is not correct. No matter what I do or the rebuilder we can't get the air fuel mixture correct due to the pot metal being "warped and distorted" My rebuilder did a lot of work trying to fix the warped and cracked pot metal but it just is not right. I must say this carb should have been a parts donor instead of rebuilding it. But I have way over a thousand dollars into it and still am not happy with the way it performs, or lack of performance. I know the problem is in the carburetor because I have taken the same model carburetor off of my brothers '29 Studebaker and put it on my car and it runs perfectly. Put mine back on and it runs terrible again. And no, my brother will not let me keep his carburetor on my car, he notices the difference. grin.gif

Guest DeSoto Frank

Mark,

Sorry to hear of your plight...potmetal (die cast zinc alloy) is sometimes a curse for the same reasons it was a manufacturing blessing (cheap. light, able to cast into intricate shapes)...

The big problem with it is a phenomenon know as "intergranular corrosion"; apparently this has to do with trace amounts of lead in the alloy composition...which causes "swelling", cracking, and crumbling of the casting...

Some "recipes" seem to age worse than others; presence of moisture, especially in freezing climates speeds the process.

Phonograph collectors, particularly folks who fancy "Columbia" cylinder and disc machines are familar with the self-destruction of pot metal castings...

While this may not be your desired goal, is there a downdraft carb manifold from a later Stude 8 that could be fitted to your car for better drivability, until you find an all-brass or decent die-cast UU Stromberg?

The only commonplace vehicles that continued to use updraft carbs after about 1932 were cab-over-engine trucks...Chevy COE trucks used Carter and Rochester updrafts into the '50s, but these were single throat jobs that used the same oval two-bolt flange as the Downdrafts...

confused.gif

Good luck in your search!