New guy info

Al69ss

Hey everyone, new to AACA and getting ready for the 2004 show season. I have read that a fire extinguisher is a requirement for AACA competition and thats a good thing! I have read the guidelines and am still not sure of what type and size to buy. Can someone send me a link or picture with laymans terms on what I need to have? I'm already registered for the Hagerstown meet and my car is almost done so now I am down to the details. Thanks.

ALbert

Hi Albert,You will need a UL Type 10-B:C or 2-1/2 pound Dry Chemical or Halon or 10lb. Carbon Dioxide. The extinguisher does not need to be mounted in the car but must be clearly visable. I set mine in front of the car by the wheel.Good luck in Hagerstown!! I'll be there too.

Albert, Welcome to the Forum and the AACA...

Olds442 spelled out the extinguisher specs well. You can pick one up at most Auto Parts stores, Hardware stores, too.

Important: The first thing the judging team looks for is the extinguisher. If it is not visible, the rules state that one's car will not be judged. Normally, the Team Captain will ask you where the extinguisher is/do you have one?

Just a suggestion...I make a check list of what to do when placing my vehicle (dust, open hood/trunk, windows up, etc. The first item on the check list is place the fire extinguisher in a visible place.

Regards, Peter J.

Albert...good to go!

At most Nationals, the DF'ers try to meet in Class 5 (Motor Scooters) usually around 1:00 p.m.

If you have a chance, come on over...nice, casual conversation. Good time to put a face to a keyboard.

Regards, Peter J.

• 3 months later...

Halon is, of course, no longer allowed by EPA to be produced. However there are a few manufacturers still selling extinguishers using recycled halon and servicing can still be obtained in a number of places.

I bought a 2.5 lbs chrome halon extinguisher from H3R a few years ago. They have other sizes as well as non-chrome ones for a bit less. Very nice chrome finish and looks real good in a classic car. Their vehicle order page is:

http://www.h3r.com/products/home_vehicle.htm

Thanks, I wound up buying a red 2.5 unit from H3R. I found out about a deal they are having until the end of the month (8/31).

They e-mailed me the directions so I will paste it below.

From now until August 31, you can receive 10% off on all the H3R fire extinguishers for home and vehicle use. Go to http://www.h3r.com/products/home_vehicle.htm and follow these steps:

Select the product(s) you want to buy

Click on the "checkout" button

Click on the "Redeem Coupon" link

Type "1211" in the "Offer number" field

Click the "Redeem Coupon" button.