I give up...I need a parts book

Pat Baysinger

I've been watching ebay for months for a parts book, but I can't wait any longer. If anyone can recommend an honest and reasonably priced source, I'd like to hear from you. What's a fair price, and are there any questions I need to ask about what all the book contains...like supplements, revisions etc? Also, do the parts books cover more than just one year and one model? I mentioned in a previous post something about this parts book, and someone was good enough to inform me that I should buy a book a few years "newer" than my car to make sure I had the changes relating to my car. I'm assuming then that since my car is a '63 Electra, I should get a book from 1965. Any comments? I'd like to buy the right book the first time.<P>Thanks to all who reply.<P>Pat

Guest n2buick

You don't want to get a book too much newer than your car. I found out by buying one too many years after mine, originally. Seems that as parts were discontinued, they were deleted from the books, so some parts were no longer in it. I had luck finding one dated right after my car, and was able to compare them. Definitely better with the one closer to my year. Probably be OK if you went a few years. Good luck, Jeff

Look for a book with a print date no more than two years after your car's model year.<P>Many of the auto literature dealers do not use eBay. Get a copy of Hemmings Motor News for a list of vendors. I got my parts book from Ken McGee in Ontario (Canadian goods are a bargain thease days).

That's all good information, and I appreciate it. I knew there would be some things I hadn't thought of...like Canadian. Old Guy...I know what you mean about recommending people. I rarely do that either. I will contact Dan first. What do these go for? $50? $75? more? Are most parts books reprints...or originals?<P>I knew I'd get help from you all. This has to be the best car site on the web, and I believe these old Buicks draw the best people in the hobby. <P>Pat

Along with the parts book, you should look for the 1963 Buick Dealer service bulletins.<BR>These are sometimes more informative than a shop manual, usually list factory Motor numbers, optional rear end gears , key codes, sometimes production codes, and production changes to some parts, and their part numbers, and a lot more.<BR>They do pop up on E-Bay every once and a while.<P>Jim Schlf / palbuick@aol.com