RCA Inputs???

So, are you guys and gals getting tired of all of my posts yet?

What's the best way of hooking up my iPod? I bought a box from RCAINPUT.COM that plugs into the back of the radio, but I guess because we don't have CD control functionality build into our head units, it's not going to work... Too bad, because the one I got for my Sport Trac works great.

So now I'm stuck with using a cassette tape adapter. This does work (using a sony), but the quiet shhh, shhh, shhh of the inards of the adapter bothers me a little. FM modulators also seem to be less than up to the task.

So, the question is... What is the best way to do this and still keep the factory look and feel? Should I get a different Chrylser unit off ebay? Is there a model that other people have found works well?

P.S. If I'm asking too many questions, just tell me to bug off.

P.S.S. Thanks for the info on the backup light covers, I won't be attempting to "clean" them.

Hi Jeffrey,

Sorry for the dumb question, but what is an ipod? Is it like CD player? If so I have an older 6 bay changer, made by alpine, I think. It was my brothers and I took it out of his Saab. It has a box that sits behing/under the radio and leads that hook into the antenna cable in series. I tune to a low FM station and it plays through the radio, using the radio vol control. It has a small wireless remote to change CDs. Works pretty well, the big test will be the ride to Laughlin next week.

Stephen

I agree with your audio quality statement, MP3s by there very nature are pretty lossy. I was hope to get rid of the quite noise that the cassette adapter itself makes. As you know if you've taken one of these adapters apart, there are parts to keep both spools spinning. Many players will assume the tape is broken if both spools don't spin. It's the noise of these parts rubbing that is bothering me.

Perhaps I should try a different adapter, I just assumed that Sony would be as good or better than the cheap ones available at Wal-Mart.

I was about to purchase the "external" cd player from a member, but was told that the overall quality of the player was not that great and that many people have problems with them. These are often called slave players on e-bay.

Also I've been told that purchasing any of the newer models that have a CD built in have a better CD system, but that's not going to help me hook up an iPod.

Also, I want to keep the factory look as much as possible, schoche kits have never thrilled me.

I know, picky, picky, picky :-)

• 3 months later...

I just got a new iPod along with the small FM modulator from iTrip. The iTrip is about $35 and is the only way to get really good sound without the RCA inputs. In fact, in a car stereo, you can hardly tell any difference!

You plug the iTrip into the iPod and this becomes an FM transmitter on any frequency you chose. Tune the radio to that frequency and you get great music.