Original paint..... to touch up or not to touch up......

Hi everyone, Bryan here again, I'll get all these questions out of me at some point...

My 60 Chrysler comes with a wonderful original paint job... however, there are a few "nicks" that I personally think should be slightly touched up as to not spread or get larger over time. Is this appropriate to do?

At some point through the car's life, someone has touched up small spots on the car (most the size of a BB or about that size) with matching color. Should this continue through the car's life, or should I leave it "untouched, as found"

Many Many thanks!

Oh, would love to talk / correspond with folks on exactly HOW to and WHAT to do to keep this car's originallity from degrading.... ie... sunlight exposure from time to time while driving/showing, fabric treatment on headliner so as to deter any dry-rot, etc......Pic of interior front attached....

thanks!

Bryan

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 70 Electra

Bryan,

Your car is a beautiful! I share your interest in preservation of unrestored cars and have some suggestions/comments on the subject. I will email you directly.

There is a simple answer to this question - rust was not original on any car if you define original as the car was manufactured or bought by its first owner. If you define "original" as found many years later, either maintained or unmaintained you open a whole can of worms. How do you preserve rust out? How do you (and why would you want to) preserve lack of maintenance and previous damage. Maintenance is not restoration, it is preservation. Touch up to prevent future damage.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to know what you discussed by private e-mail. This actually is a topic that ought to go to the "tech" section. How DO you preserve and stabilize an all-original HPOF quality car? I have found little--actually nothing-- in the lit on the subject. I have a 28 Dodge Victory coupe, 32,000 miles, been parked since 1952. Upholstery great, but how do I clean ancient fabric & headliner without damage? Some say "steam clean" others say no no. How do I halt and stabilize a small rust line at bottom of rear deck panel? Or some surface rust on fenders? etc. etc. What about nickel plating polished in parts down to brass?The original question is a good one and not so easily dismissed. Is anyone aware of any writings on this subject?

• 3 months later...