47 lincoln continental quedtions

I'm new to the club and impresssed with the knowledge, experience and willingness of the members who share. I have two questions regarding a 47 Lincoln continental convertible. I hope they are not too general and hope to contribute in the future as I encounter and hopefully solve problems (but not too many).

1. The car lurches or bucks at 35 mph and I have to back off. It's like it is gas starved. Does this sound like a fuel problem or does an ignition problem have this sympton or could it be something more serious like valves or cam?

2.The steering seems to be loose and the frontend tends to "float" or what I would call "hunt" from side to side requiring constant correction on the steering wheel.I've been told that the old bias tires can cause this but this seems excessive and not what an original owner what have accepted in one of the most expensive cars in its day. Any ideas?

Thanks for bearing with a new owners naive questions.

Hey Bill, My first flash when I read your mail was fuel supply, check your fuel pump and flex hose and make sure the gas in the sediment bowl is clean, then that all being all right, check the float level in the carburetor, if none of that does the trick, see previous discussions about Jake Fleming, the V-12 distributor wizard. I know of nothing inherent in bias ply tires to cause the problems you describe, much more likely worn front-end components, king pins, tie rod ends, drag link, or the steering box itself, although it is rare. They did not do what you describe when new for sure, Lincolns were rock-steady and tracked beautifully when new, one of their main claims to fame, if the front end alignment is OK, I would just have the wheels balanced at a regular tire shop, I know a friend recently had problems with great looking old tires that had sat too long in one spot, and they had to be discarded, good luck, keep us informed, Rolf

Rolf, thanks. The tires that sat too long may be a good clue. The car was only driven a few times in last 3 years when prior owner acquired it.

Guest imported_V12Bill

Bill, I agree with Rolf on your engine problems. On the steering problems the Lincolns only have one simple adjustment and that is the toe in/out. In order to adjust camber and caster the axle has to be bent accordly. This is not an impossible chore for a truck alignment shop. Just remember that to bend an axle out of adjustment you need to really whack a curb or have an accident that involves damage to the axle. Since this doesn't happen too often lets just say the toe needs to be set. The toe adjustment is l/l6 " IN. The next adjustment is the play in the steering box. You should not have more than 2" of play at the steering wheel.This adjustment can be complicated and I would advice getting a Chiltons or Motors manual to do this in the proper sequence.

My 48' was loose on the road at first. Yes bias ply tires will let you feel every irregularity of the road.With the play taken up in the steering box and the toe in adjusted, I can drive at comfort(?) on the interstates at 65 or 70 MPH.

Bill

Rolf, is there a mechanic in the bay area who can work on the engine of a v12 or the front end problem I described. It looks like you are in Santa Cruz and I am in Menlo Park. Thanks for your advice.

Bill

I am sorry Bill, all the pro mechanics I know around here are under 40 years old, and ask what kind of car it is when you drive in, and charge $80 an hour for whatever they do, and invariably make you feel ripped off, my '41 Zephyr has been a do it yourself venture with me and my son all the way, once in the while he will even ask me about how to do it, most of the time not though, he knows far more than the old Fogey, I don't even argue with him any more. Remember, mechanics didn't like Zephyrs much even when they were current, so what you are setting out to do will not be easy, good luck, Rolf