REALLY need help

I recently purchased the world's worst '48 cabriolet;pure rust with much missing.I just located and bought a tough but75% complete four door. legend has it that the ragtops were built on a partially assembled fordor floor pan;is this so? it certainly would be easier to assemble on the fordor floor than piecing it into the "wusty wagtop". This is to be a fun car,built in a short time,not a 100 point show car.It would be easier to streetrod,but if I can get some good,ongoing advice to build it,I'll go the stock route. Any bastions of knowledge out there that don't mind "stoopid" questions. I'm in the swamps of Sw florida,dirt poor,but a good listener when advice is given.Thanks in advance!

Hey Junk, I am confused, are you trying to put the convertible on the road, using the 4 door as a parts car? Or vicea versa?? Seems like you would take the salvageable pieces from the one car, and put it in the other, wouldn't you?? Not too hard a decision I would think, as long as you are a good MIG or TIG welder, good luck, Rolf

Rolf,sorry for the muddled post.The ragtop must live! My thought/question was how much of the floor/substructure in the fordor is directly compatible;firewall/doorpost area.Surely someone has fought a rusty coupe/ragtop and killed a fordor. it's always been easier for me to listen to the experiences of others as guidance rather than doing shoddy work while on the learning curve. Any input really appreciated.

Still not totally clear Junk, in a normal car, the bodys can be removed and transplanted, Lincolns do not lend them selves to this very well, so cutting out bad areas and replacing them with good areas from the parts car is the accepted way, I am assuming your "ragtop" is a Lincoln Convertible, not a Continental, right?? As far as I know, most of the basic sheet metal is pretty much the same, until you get into the obvious differences of the doors tops, trunks etc, but floors and firewalls used for patch pieces should be fine, just a lot of work, Rolf

Guest imported_raywilks

junk50, i am in orlando. i have a 46 continental coupe parts car. very,very good condition.as you know, the windshield frame comes off both cabriolet and coupes. i believe the top comes off at the back by the tub. i also think the floors, doors, rear quarters etc are the same on both cars. if you are trying to change the bodies, you have a major undertaking in grinding them loose from the frame and re-aligning them on the new frame. i am working on a cabriolet now and will happily show you some of the problem areas.

the parts car will be for sale very soon with complete rolling car, front fenders,doors,deck lid, hood etc. if i can help you please contact me

Guest imported_V12Bill

Junk, I just finished a convertible that was a contender for the biggest pile of rust ever. I ended with most of the original body and the original doors, PERIOD. The floors are not all that difficult. A welding supply shop can get you 24 or 26 gauge sheet metal in 4' X 8' sheets. Harbor Freight was offering beading machines for about $90.They have an l8" jaw which means you reverse the panel get 36" panels to do the floor. The beading prevents "oil canning" as weight is applied to the finished floor. A MIG welder puts everything together.

My car needed all four fenders, hood , trunk lid, cowl vent, and nose section. If you have a continental your fordor is not a donor. Rear fenders can be modified to fit, but front fenders hood and trunk lid are different. Nothing is impossible if you have enough money and espechially TIME!

Bill crazy.gif

Guys,I'm really in it up to my eyeballs.The ragtop is a '48Continental cabriolet,for sure. The parts car is a fordor that has the same front appearance as the ragtop.was there a continental fordor AND a lincoln fordor.I don't have the cars together,so I may be in deep dodo.Any one help on this?

junk50, no there was not a continental 4 door. I also live in Orlando and have seen Rays' continental coupe donor car. I believe He intends to use the inner front fender area for his cabriolet. trust me, you need the rest of his coupe when he is done getting what he wants. The car as I remember is solid in all the floor area and would be the way to go. good fenders and stuff as well. Ray and I got together as he is doing his 48 cabriolet while I am doing my 48 coupe. I think Ray will also have a three speed overdive tranny and rear end when all is said and done. I have already spoken for the engine sans heads.

Good luck and try to remember why it was you were trying to drain the swamp in the first place.

Dave