1988 Red Reatta -- 32,000 Miles

I'm new here. I am the original owner of a 1989 Reatta with tan leather/suede interior. Car has 32,000 miles. It has been garaged for the past 12 years. Car looks like new. Two years after I purchased the car, I started commuting to work via the railroad. So the car was barely used. Then, the children came, and we all know how impractical a Reatta is with children. So for the past 12 years the car is occassionally used on the weekends for local errands. I had new Goodyear Eagle GT + 4 tires put on the car in October of 1999. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the car. The only problem the car ever had was an occasional dead battery because the car hadn't been used. The dead battery problem has been solved for years since we discovered how valuable a trickle-charger is.

I absolutely love this car. My mechanic says I "you don't sell a car like this because you'll never get what it is worth." The car also is very sentimental to me. If I sold the car, I'd only want to sell it to someone who would take as good care of it as I did. I'm thinking about selling the car, especially since I found this site of fellow Reatta lovers. And I think I need to buy something bigger, like a mini-van or a SUV.

First, I need to have an idea of what price I can get for the car. If the price is right, I would highly consider selling. Anybody have any ideas? Any offers? When I get a chance, I can take pictures and post them.

Guest imported_JohnW

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I need to have an idea of what price I can get for the car. </div></div>

Go to ebay and search under "reatta". Don't be too shocked at the bid prices.

I also have a 1989 Red Reatta, albeit a bit higher millage, in the 122,000 range.

Still drives good... I did not get mine new, but wish I did.

Prices are a funny thing, or sad, depending.....

What price range are thinking of?

I do have an interest in a low mile version, too....

pm me or email me if you want to discuss further.....

Gary

Guest C.F.Massie

Correct me if I'm wrong Barney, but I thought the Reatta had the suede on the seats only on the 1988 model. When I bought my 89 there was no mention of any option for suede. Regardless, that's a low mileage vehicle you have there MyReatta, are you really sure you want to part with it? You've kept it this long and like you say it's very sentimental to you, what's the hurt in hanging onto it awhile longer? confused.gif Makes a great car to cruise on nice sunny days. cool.gif

You're absoluetly right. It is a 1988 Reatta with leather/suede seats. I also have a 1989 Ford Taurus, and I got confused and typed the wrong year. Sorry about that.

Guest kennyw

I should not take the time to reply..... You bought a new Reatta for $27,000 and do not even remember what year it was. I bought a new 88 buick gran sport and set in the 88 Reatta signing the papers. I could not aford the Reatta then but I do remember the year all of this happened. Now the seat thing comes up and you now remember it is an 88,,,,,and you got the Reatta mixed up with what kind of a car???? You say: [i absolutely love this car. The car also is very sentimental to me. If I sold the car, I'd only want to sell it to someone who would take as good care of it as I did.] If you actually [HAVE] this car you will sell it to the highest bidder and try to get back some of the funds from this bad investment.........and then the children came.......and the car just sat in the garage......what a laught. When my children were young it was hard enough just to have some old used car. No young father just starting out has the funds to let a very expensive sprots car sit in a garage. So now you want an suv.......with all of the money [YOU MUST HAVE] to be able to just let the Reatta tongue.gif sit,I would think that you would already have one sitting in the garage beside the NOW [88] Reatta. So fella the story just does not wash and I would bet that I am not the only person who thinks so....and I do have a 2002 chevy. Avalanche,SUV, bought new, a van and the Reatta along with close to 40 motorcycles from old Indians to Harley, clasic 1,000cc cbx six cylinders down to Russian/w/sidecar and I know a story when I see one.....D.K.Watson Sr. the old guy

Come on fellows, give the guy a break. He lives on the Isle of Long and commutes to the city. Is enough to make anyone a bit testy.

Very low milage Reattas do exist and show up mainly at estate sales.

That said "condition is everything". Low miles are nice and add a few $$ but is really not much difference between 10,000 and 70,000 (other than a 10,000 mile example is liable to have quite a few things needing replacement from disuse).

The other factor is that while very low production (single and double digit) highly desirable cars are starting to bring good prices again, that hasn't filtered down to ones like the Reatta yet. $5k buys a very nice early coupe these days and red/tan was the most common. Does sound like you have a very early car though which might change things, what are the last four digits in the VIN ?

Guest dukeofo

I agree totally....... seems folks are guilty around here before givien a chance to figure out how this discussion group works, value of car, etc etc etc......

I probably can't afford it but hey I'd like to at least know what it's going for, condition, etc etc and give it a try..... if now, I've not lost a thing and have a Reatta to gain.... smile.gif

grin.gif

Guest C.F.Massie

I'm sorry I had to just come back and say that I was born and raised on Long Island in Flushing and I make trips back there quite often to visit relatives who didn't have the sense to get out of the rat race when they had the chance.

But MyReatta what in God's little green acres do you need an SUV for on Long Island or worse yet going into the city. Unless you take trips upstate or into Conn. I wouldn't think that's very practical to own. Of course I'm just spouting off, most people who own SUVs have the two wheeled variety and most SUV never see anything but asphalt and pavement anyway, God forbid they should get off road and dirty like the big three tell us they were meant for. Need room get a stationwagon or a small Minivan, better on gas. wink.gif

I can't figure out how to download the pictures. They're on my desktop in Kodak Easyshare folder. While I'm in the preview post mode, I type in the file where they are located and try to attach them, but it doesn't seem to be attaching. What am I doing wrong?

Guest dukeofo

I think they need to be a .jpg file... Not sure what Kodak uses but if you save the pics to Your Documents as .jpg then try to down load them that might work better

Good Luck.... we're all anxious to see ur Baybee..... grin.gif

I give up. Can't get the pictures to attach. Is there anyway else for me to post the pictures to this site? Is there a step-by-step instruction somewhere on how to add the attachment so I can figure out what I'm doing wrong?

Guest dukeofo

thanks for doing that for us.....

Yes it's a beautiful car in the pics and probably is in person......

Now what's the asking price????? so I can lower my head down and pout.......

Hope it gets to stay in the Reatta family.... and maybe see it at Plano this year.... ????

For a couple of days, I thought I MIGHT want to sell the car. Now, I realize I'm nuts for thinking that. Looking at the photos myself makes me realize what I've got. If I become serious about selling, I'll contact this forum first. So many of you have been helpful and a pleasure to deal with.

Can I ask your opinions, what do you think the car should sell for? I see a similar car on e-bay is selling for $10,000. I assume my car is worth at least that much.

By the way, I'm not a fella, a guy, or sir. I'm a lady.

Thanks.

Guest tempest68

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can someone explain to me what the last four digits of the VIN mean? What does mine suggest? Is it an early-production car? </div></div>

The last several digits of the VIN were sequential, so, Yes, it gives an indication of when it was built vs. other cars from the same year. If you visit www.reatta.net, you can find out what data we're collecting about these cars and their options by viewing the DATABASE (spreadsheet, really).

Guest llaramie

I purchased a 1991 Reatta hardtop/coupe with just 17,1000 miles in Chicago area.

The car was bought new by a husband-to-be, as a gift to his bride.

They married, were snowbirds, and left the car behind in the garage all the winters they owned it. I purchased it in 1997 for $13,000 from Loren Buick in Glenview. I spoke to the bride to get this story right. I found her name on the Reatta leather portfolio, and verified the miles with her dealer in Oak Brook Terrace, Illinois. The car has been a pleasure to drive. It now has 50,000 miles on it. It sets im my garage less, but i enjoy driving it almost daily.

I suppose your 89, in excellent condition, should sell for $9,000 to $10,000.

If it is a convertible $15,000. I believe your story. I hope you believe mine.

(all true of course).

Guest llaramie

see ebay item 2470461408 :

1988 BUICK REATTA 13,500 ORIGINAL MILES BRIGHT RED

this Reatta on sale this week thu Sunday April 3rd. (starting bid $10,500)