Who bought at Barrett-Jackson?

No I wish Steve. Only car I saw on the televized part of the show was the 96 ISMA GTS Aurora duplicate that sold for 27,500. It was engine less but had a 5speed. It was also not street legal so no title either. I'd like to find some history about the Aurora racing GTS. They said the actual car had eight victorys.

Imagine a pace car selling for what 10,000 less than new ? This whole thing has lowered the values of Oldsmobiles terribly.

I really do naot think that the auction represented any lowering of Oldsmobile values. This was a unique event and not publicized well enough to Olds enthusiasts. There were other cars that did not bring the expected results. Some of the cars that GM sold were "tweeners"...did not fit any category and thusly did not garner a lot of interest.

The GTS brought a fairly decent price for a car without an engine, although it is one of the prettiest race cars ever. The Harry Gant replica brought a reasonable price but was still a bargain for vintage racers. The car that sickens me is the actual #3 Indy 500 pace car which brought a ridiculosuly low bid in my opinion.

There use to be info on the Olds Motorsports website about the GTS. My memories are a little vague although the car was a "killer". I believe that Rocketmotorsports campaigned one and Wayne Taylor or Irv Hoerr drove.

Whats the actualy web site Steve or is it gone. oldsmotorsports.com nor oldsmobilemotorsports.com did not work. I also tried ISMA.com. ISMA may be defunct now. im not sure. It seems race organizatioins are short lived these days. I like to dig up a page of history or and specs of this car. Im wondering if it raced as a 4 litre or if it got the Chevy race engine, want to know what cars it was up against too.

In regards to resale value I was more refering to what I see on the used lots around NY's capitol district. Nobodys buying them, they sit and sit and sit.

I noticed that 2 of those pace cars went low, the one really low like you said. The newer Buicks went low too. I noticed when I went back through the prices they were not what I remembered. It said the 96 ISMA car was 22 or 23,000. It also said the 175,000 GT500 was 182,000 so I must have missed something.

Well, I thought all oldsmobiles went at a fairly good price, the 97 pace car given to Arie Lyndyke, he did not keep, and it sold back then for around $25-27,OOO.00 at an Indy auction.

Oh well,

the cars for the Florida auction, were hard to find out ahead of time, for some reason. But keep the faith.

Just the real nice MUSCLE Car stuff brings good money these days.

• 4 months later...
Guest Paceman

Hi Steve, Any luck tracking down the concept cars from the Barrett-Jackson auction? I couldn't believe the prices. I am familiar with a few of them and am courious as to what became of them.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the 2001 Zebra Edition Intrigue from a dealership in Columbus, Ohio does any one have any info on this car? (e.g. where I can find the original wheels that were taken off it before it was auctioned off in March) Any info on this or the sister cars the Alero and the Aurora would help me immensely.

THANKS !!

Also, Steve any other info you can provide me on the car would be great. For example cost of the paint job and the special parts like the brake and accelerator pedals as well as the interior and the exhaust. Also the leather covered floor mats say Oldsmobile SC3 on them, and I was curious as to where that came from. I also got a leather GM Key fob with the letters GMO on the backside of it and a bunch of handwritten info on the tag. I have owned over 15 Oldsmobiles and currently have 3 Intrigues, a 1994 Cutlass Convertible and a 1967 Oldsmobile 442. If its any consolation the car did not go to an undeserving person.

• 3 months later...

Steve

Was watching Speed channel tonight & was showing the cars going to be at the 2005 Barrett Jackson auction. Following it was the Ormond Beach show. Much to my suprise there you were pushing the Olds, wearing a black shirt, with a Hershey bar in the pocket. Pretty warm wasnt it? Looked like you were having fun. What year was it? Jack

Guest Doug Blake

Steve,

I found out that according to the GM Specialty Vehicle Division the Alero 442, 2 of the OSV Aleros, OSV Intrigue, OSV Silhouette, the Alero pace car, and other pace cars. The RKSport Cali edition Alero and the pearl yellow Intrigue was sent to the dismantler and crushed.

Why didn't they (Olds) put them up for auction to make some $$$? Or even just donate them to the museum?

Legal issue of non-certified cars. GM is paranoid (and maybe rightly so) that once the vehicles were out of their hands, that they would be misused and cause them a legal problem of gigantic porportions later on. It is sad but it has been going on for many, many years. The good news is that the majority of the cars have remained intact as a collection and are being well cared for.

Guest imported_joecool72

Wow Robert, that sure is a unique Oldsmobile! cool.gif I wouldn't get rid of that at all! Congrats on finding the wheels for them, too!! At $1200 that was a steal! Enjoy it!

• 2 months later...

I picked up some more wheels from the guy I bought my Zebra Intrigue wheels from. I am going to run these on my 1999 Intrigue this summer. They came off the Polar Bear Intrigue show car. They are 255/40ZR18 Michelin Pilot XGT ZR and Chrome O.Z Racing AS-7 with custom made center cap. The center cap was signed by someone at GM it says motoring 46770 12/99. I don't think they have been driven on the road before. What do you guys think of them ?

dsc008216bn.th.jpg