PBS series: "Great Cars"

Guest 70 Electra

Guest 70 Electra

Has anyone seen the new PBS series on automobiles called "Great Cars"? Amazingly, they do not carry it on the Detroit PBS station that services my neighborhood. (So much for the Motor City....)

Anyhow, I've learned that the second season of the series starts the week of March 29th and has 13 new episodes, including one on Buicks.

The BUICK episode is reported to be number 9 out of the 13. So if one episode is shown each week and if your PBS station plays them in order, the Buick episode should be aired (approximately) during the week of May 24th. FYI.

Guest Dynaflo2

I just did a cursory search of the PBS website and couldn't find anything under "Great Cars". Are you certain of the title of the show?

There seems to be a lot of car related shows on all of a sudden. There are some on the Discovery Channel variations which document the progress of vehicles in Boyd Coddington's shop, other custom vehicle fabricators, and "Rides" on TLC.

Speed Channel has about 3 hours in prime time each night during the week on various vehicular subjects, many related to cars per se. Barret-Jackson Car Search is one. Not to mention the many American Muscle Car Special Reports (which included about at least a week's worth of a Harley Earl show). Multiple airings of these too. And don't forget Barry Meguiar's "Car Crazy"!!!

Then there's also the Power Block on Sunday mornings too. Plus Hot Rod Television, CAR AND DRIVER Television, Motor Trend Television, AUTOWEEK, Dream Car Garage, Two Guys Garage (formerly ShadeTree Mechanic) and a few other similar shows. Some might not "trip your trigger" but many will.

With respect to new vehicles, there's "Speed Vision Test Drive" with Tommy Kendall. These can be pretty neat and informative plus fun to watch as they take vehicles around the race track. Some are more like infomercials, but still interesting to watch.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Guest 70 Electra

Yep, I'm sure of the title. Daveatmoon's post includes a link to the Great Cars website.

If your PBS station doesn't carry it, I'd urge you to write/email/call the program director and tell them you want to see it! I've launched a mini-campaign in the Detroit area back in January and our PBS station is now telling me they are looking to pick it up in the fall of this year.

In the mean time, has ANYBODY out there seen it? There has apparently been 13 episodes already. By the way, they are available for purchase once they've been aired, but since I haven't seen any I can't personally recommend them either way.

• 3 months later...
Guest 70 Electra

I still haven't seen this show yet, but I've been told by my local (Detroit)PBS station that they may pick it up in the fall.

The Buick episode ("100 years of Buick") is now available for purchase on VHS and DVD. Go to the Great Cars website referenced in an earlier posting, and call them on the toll-free number.